Occasional Advisor
brucoly

Clicks from Scorpio Blue 500GB on MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo 2,2 ghz

Hi all,

I've replaced the internal hard drive of my MacBook Pro Core Duo 15" 2,2ghz with a Scorpio Blue 500GB.

I didn't notice anything on the first day but, the following day, I started hearing the (dreaded?) clicking sound from the hard drive, I have to say that they there's no lag in responsiveness when the clicks happen and they come more regularly when the laptop is idle.
I've read horrible accounts about clicks and damaged drives so I'm backing up on time machine like there is no tomorrow.
Did anybody experienced the same? How concerned should I be? Should I send the HD back? Solutions?
Thanks!
Respected Contributor
MR_MKS_Montana

Re: Clicks from Scorpio Blue 500GB on MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo 2,2 ghz

Hi there, Drive click often indicates drive failure, you can test the drive with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and verify if this is your case and the drive needs to be replaced.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Advisor
brucoly

Thanks, unfortunately I am on a Mac so I don't think I can run Lifeguard. I ran Disk Utility and other disk checkers and everything seems fine.

However, searching around the net I found out that the Scorpio's power management somehow clashes with the MacBooks and some people advised to use a utility called hdapm. I installed it and, so far, it seems everything is ok.

Hope this will remain this way... will keep the board posted.

Occasional Visitor
FlemmingA320

I have the exact same problem with my MacBook Pro where i installed a 

WESTERN DIGITAL SCORPIO BLACK 750GB 7200RPM SATA/300 16MB.

I even send it back to swap it, but even the new one has the same clicks. I have read about the HDAMP solution, but it seemed a bit old all the sites where i found info about it, and some mention that with the latest OSX the HDAMP doesn't work. 

Flemming

Occasional Advisor
brucoly

The hdapm fix seems to work on the latest os x, but I think it consumes more power. I have read there's a WD utiliy called wdidle3 which should be better than hdapm, but it's a DOS utility so I don't know ho to run it. It would be great to know if wdidle3 actually works and how to run it on osx.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD