Visitor
hotmuffin

can not access drive

Hi I have a 1 yr old External Harddrive 2TB elements usb 2.0. It just started flashing today and has now become inaccessible if i reboot computer it wont go past setup  unless I disconnect the ext drive and when I reconnect it I can hear the sound it makes to say it has found new hardware but the drive just sits there flashing. Any help would be much appreciated thank u all.

Visitor
hotmuffin

Re: can not access drive

Hi,   update   , i have now found that the problen is a loose usb connection on the drive itself, when i wiggle it now and then it will appear on my comp, now my question is ... is it possible to get this fixed without losing any data on the disk? and could it be done locally by a eletronics person maybe? thanks all

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: can not access drive

If you can get the data off now do it. Is it the cable or port it plugs into? If it's the cable try another one. If it's still in warranty call WD for a new one  About the only fix is to get the USB board reslodered or find a similar board. Opening the drive will void the warranty. It may be possible to connect this drive as an internal and use it that way. If the drive is still in warranry and you can get your data off without opening the drive you can RMA it.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD