Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Collector
SiM99

WDBAAU0010HBK-00 / 01 - success, problems and drivers

[ Edited ]

I have purchased a WD Elements Desktop HDD and it's totally suited it's purpose - for storing video to be played on my ps3. I've had this one for a while and had no trouble, so I decided to get another one to use for other types of files.

The P/N of the first one bought was WDBAAU0010HBK-00. This one has a nice looking, rounded, power supply and the usb cable is a nice length.

The P/N of the second drive purchased is WDBAAU0010HBK-01. This one has a square looking power supply and the usb cable is really short.

Inserting the second drive (WDBAAU0010HBK-01)  into a Windows XP desktop PC displayed a warning to alert me that the drivers it was about to install have not passed Windows Logo testing. I'm sure that I didn't get this warning with the first drive. In addition, I have been attempting to copy around 33gb of files to the drive and it has disconnected itself a number of times while I have been doing so, causing the copy operations to fail and Windows to display a "delayed write failed" message. In short, I'm not very happy at all with the second drive.

What I am wondering is if the second drive purchased could possibly be a "fake" or "clone" of a WD drive? Do they exist? If not, then what can I do to get this drive to perform as well as the first, is there some certified Windows XP drivers available for me to try?

Collector
SiM99

Re: WDBAAU0010HBK-00 / 01 - success, problems and drivers

Just qn update on the situation... I seem to have gotten the drive working successfully now.

What I did will seem strange, but it worked. I uninstalled the drivers for both of the external drives and blocked the installation (using the STOP button on the "these drivers are not windows xp tested" message) when I next plugged them in. The drives are still accessible - I'm not sure how, but they are.

I also plugged the new (problematic) drive into the back of the computer instead of the front ports, which are on a third party usb extender plugged onto the motherboard.

I don't know what part of that has helped the most, but it seems to be working fine at the moment...

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD