Visitor
Bobby_7
Accepted Solution

WD elements - "found new hardware wizard" appears.

I have transferred files from my work computer on to my WD elements 1TB hard drive for use on my home PC, however, when I try to use my WD hard drive on my home computer i get a dialogue box which says "welcome to the found new hardware wizard".

I have checked device manager and there is a an exclamation mark in a yellow circle next to my WD external hard drive.

I tried all the USB ports and I get the same message. I have even tried using the hard drive on another computer but it works fine.

I have since deleted the files and reformatted the WD hard drive and transferred the files again. but it appears that the WD hard drive does not work on my home computer.

Does this mean there is a problem on my home computer as it seems to work on a different computer without the "welcome to the found new hardware wizard" dialogue box, has anyone encountered the same issue?

Many thanks in advance

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: WD elements - "found new hardware wizard" appears.

What OS are you using? It sounds like a driver issue? go into device manager delete the driver for the external and then disconnect it.  Go to windows update. Then reboot and try connecting drive again. Elements is a plug and play drive there aren't separate drivers for it. See if that helps.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
Bobby_7

Thanks for the reply.

Using windows XP.

Forgot to mention i've only had the hard drive for a week.

I've got a feeling its something to do with my PC

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Try checking out the things here http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/How-to-eliminate-potential-problems-on-USB-Powered-Dr...

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
Bobby_7

[ Edited ]

Thanks...

I still get the found 'new hardware wizard' popping up but I've managed to gain access to my hard drive. The thing is, it's an alternative way...

Right click my computer > manage, then click on disk management.

My external hard drive appears but I noticed the hard drive did not have a letter assigned to it. I assigned (F: ) to the external hard drive, then right clicked external HD > open.

Using that method, I can gain access to my stored files but still trying to figure out how to do it the 'normal' way.

Visitor
Bobby_7

Hi all

I've finally managed to gain 'normal' access!?

When the 'found new hardware wizard' popped up, I clicked on install. An error message window popped up which basically said windows cannot find any drivers and gives you the option of continuing or canceling the installation.

I clicked on continue installation, the same error message window popped up with the same options (continue/cancel). I clicked on continue installation once again and after a few seconds, on the bottom right of my tool bar, a 'found new hardware' message popped up.

I noticed that my computer was loading the information stored on my WD external hard drive. When I double clicked 'my computer', My WD external hard drive was on display and easily accessed with no problems.

My problem was solved on Sunday evening but I wanted to wait a while before posting this reply in case there were problems but everything appears to be working perfectly.

Many thanks.

Visitor
Bobby_7

Hi all

I have received a response from Western Digital in regards to my hard drive not being recognised.

Hopefully this helps!

If your computer is failing to recognise the Elements drive when you connect it then you may have an antivirus program that is being a little over protective of your system - have you tried disabling any of these types of programs to see what happens?

As this drive is an Advanced Format drive, you will have to format it in either a 64 bit Windows 7 or Vista environment, or using the quick formatter detailed below:

Answer Title: Do I need to run WD Align or the WD Quick Formatter for my WD Elements, My Book, or other WD External products?
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3876

Answer Title: How to use the WD Quick Formatter to format external drives (+ SmartWare) for Windows XP or Mac OSX (Leopard or Snow Leopard)
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3868

Let me know how you get on, if you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD