Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Visitor
Babas

WD Elements ext hard drive suddenly not working with my TV and can't be read by my Laptop

Help. I've had my external hard drive for about half a year, happily used it recording from TV, watching digital clips I've downloaded and also transferring video clips from laptop to big TV screen. Yesterday - nothing. The TV doesn't recognise it at all. Windows 7 tells me the device is there but it isn't found when I look at available drives in My Computer. I noticed two nights ago at about midnight the external hard drive's blue light was flashing, which seemed unusual, so I turned it off at the wall. That has been the only signal that something was amiss.  How do I fix this problem and/or how do I get the data off it. There are many things on this disk that I want to retain,

Occasional Visitor
weezypops

Re: WD Elements ext hard drive suddenly not working with my TV and can't be read by my Laptop

I'm having the same problem, and it seems to be a common one according to posts on here but i can't find a definitive answer. My drive (the same as yours) was working normally on friday but isn't recognised today. It appears in device manager and is present in disk management but not in My Computer.

When I start updisk management it says 'you must initialize disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it' and I have the option two use two partition styles: MBR and GPT. I was hesitant to do this in case I deleted any of the things I have saved on it but tried out of desperation and then get the message that the disk is write protected, though I haven't done anything to write protect it. It then appears in the list as 'Unknown' and 'Not initialized' and I don't have any option to change the drive letter, which is a suggestion I've seen before.

Any suggestions? It seems like this is a common problem as there are a lot of posts about it here and elsewhere on the internet which would suggest it's a problem with the hardware, but I, like many, really don't want to lose what I have on there - I certainly can't retake 30 years' worth of photos for example!

Occasional Visitor
roywahyu

Re: WD Elements ext hard drive suddenly not working with my TV and can't be read by my Laptop

Dear All,

Just now I also have the same problem as yours. Mine is WD elements 500 Gb. Suddenly it won't work on my windows like yours. I also tried to plug it on other windows laptop, but it sill wouldn't work.

But I don't want to be desperate. Guess what? I tried to plug it on my friend's laptop. He is using MACBOOK fro Apple. And Finally, MACBOOK can read all my data. As soon as possible I copy all the data from my ext HD to his Internal HD.

Then I formatted my ext HD and it works normal now. Hope it help...

Regards,

Roy

Visitor
Goldilocks

bump on this

i have same symptoms and problems with the first two posts. Suddenly not working, not initializing and when i do intialize it says write disk is protected. 

did plugging it in to  a mac really work? can anyone confirm?

Occasional Visitor
roywahyu

Dear Goldilocks,

Mine is works when I plugged it on Mac, but make sure you install the software to read NTFS file system such as NTFS-3G. That software will allow you to read and write on NTFS device.

Hope it helps...:smileyhappy:

Roy

Frequent Advisor
TSK-REAPER

a file on your computer change so this is the reason for most hard drives not working on a computer but works with a differnt

(TSK)
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD