Visitor
Asfu79
Accepted Solution

WD Elements SE not working

Hi all, I have just purchased WD Elements SE 1TB. Drive was connected to my laptop, Dell Studio 1747. Drive was recognized when connected to USB, but does not appear in the explorer. When went to 'Computer > Manage > Disk Management' drive appears there, is recognized properly, but does not have letter assigned nor possible to format. I have read a bit and found something regarding lack of power in the USB ports. Therefore connected it to the e-Sata port, but still was not able to use the drive. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: WD Elements SE not working

Contact WD ant they will probably send you a Power Booster cable. It uses 2 USB ports and may solve the low voltage problem.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
Asfu79

Thank you for the quick reply.

I will do that, even though it sounds weird even e-Sata port is not powerful enough.

Since I use this port to connect a hub, mouse, keyboard, cellular modem and external HDD, I assumed voltage is high.

To connect the new Elements SE - hub was disconnected.

Anyway, will ask WD to send this cable and check whether it works or not.

For the price paid - maybe it's better just to repleace it with another brand...

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Personally I don't like USB powered drives because a lot of PC makers use really wimpy power suppies that are barely adequet.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
Asfu79

I agree with that, but since my desktop sudden death, the laptop is the only computer I have, so I don't really have a choice but using external drives. My main external HDD are 3.5", but for commuting I bought 2.5", which for the moment is not working :smileyhappy:

Visitor
Asfu79

Well, wrote a week ago to WD and still got no response. Connected the HDD to a desktop and it works perfectly. Guess it is a power problem.
Occasional Visitor
LenaN

Thank you for the post. It really solved my problem. I just switched cables from what I got with the package to what I have and use. Kudos!

Occasional Visitor
icsoka

Utter rubbish hard drive i will never support it again because they do not honor their warranty. I have owned 640 GB 2.5" & 1 TB 2.5" and looked after them properly but they ended up having bad sectors. I bought my drives from 2 different locations of the world,USA & Philippines.Both looked after very well, but i ended up having issues with Cyclic Redundancy Check.Lifeguard Tools reported bad sectors and it suggested that it may be able to fix the errors but it was unsuccessful. sorry its junk.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD