Frequent Visitor
Phildo55

WD Elements 500G (1023) Ext HDD USB no longer recognised by Win 7

I have a WD 500G Elements 1023 USB Ext HDD. Out of nowhere, it has stopped being recognised by any PC/Laptop that I connect it to. On connecting via USB, the unit makes a whirring noise, then continual low freq. beep noises for a few minutes - then silence and the HDD does not spin into gear. If I check Win 7 Disk Management , it says "The device is working properly" and also that the PC thinks the unit is now a 2TB (2048GB) Uninitialised Disk 1 waiting to be initialised/formatted and with 2048GB Unallocated.  I have refrained from initialising/formatting it for obvious reasons - I need the data on the HDD - it is mainly Outloo .PST irreplaceble work files (yeah I know the data should be on a more relaible backup medium but this episode occurred mid stream in an XP-Win7 upgrade where I had to remove my data for a day - and yep in that day the HDD (purchased Feb 2 2011) goes and dies one me. Any advice on how it may be possible to recover the data without paying $300 would be appreciated.  

Honored Contributor
RoofingGuy

Re: WD Elements 500G (1023) Ext HDD USB no longer recognised by Win 7

I've had luck, when a drive's been corrupted and lost its partition table, using TestDisk from CGSecurity to restore the partition table.  Other recovery tools may also work.

Frequent Visitor
Phildo55

Test Desk warningThanks for the tip - unfortunately the dead Ext HDD is now being recognised as 2TB by all comouters I connect to and it is only  500GB drive. Test Desk warns not to proceed if the size it thinks the drive is, is not what it really is.  So I keep on searching for an answer - without much hope!

Honored Contributor
fzabkar

Are you saying that the drive is trying to spin up? Is that what you mean by "whirring noises"? "Beep noises" are often heard if the spindle motor is seized or if the heads are stuck to the platters (stiction).

Do you use a USB Y-cable?

Did you drop or bump the drive?

Occasional Visitor
Colbat

Hello, I have the exact same problem on the exact same product : WD Elements 500G (1023).

I have a lot of important data on it (school projects and others things )

There is a way to revover data ? It's just a logical problem or it's mecanical ?

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor
Datbul

I have the same problem. My WD 75G drive is now not spinning out of no where. I've tried plugging into other computers and updating drives. But it's still not spinning. What do I have to do to get my music files off of it?

Occasional Visitor
jameswvoss

Any solution for this problem?

Frequent Visitor
Phildo55

Unfortunately there was no cheap answer to even attempt to recover my data - so I scrapped the drive and it was replaced under Warranty with a newer larger storage model. 

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD