Visitor
h2whoa

WD Elements 1023 1TB media write protected; Not recognized

Hello,

I recently purchased a WD Elements 1TB external hard drive. I backed up a fair amount onto it once, formatted my laptop and attempted to use it again to regain my data. The drive is not recognized on any windows operating system I have (Vista, XP, or 7), I have used different usb cables as well to no avail. The drive is only recognized in disk management but describes it as " Not Initialized" and " Unknown 2048.00 GB" which is twice the size of the actualy Hard drive. If i attempt to initialize it says the "media is write protected". I don't understand why it assumes the drive is now 2 TB rather than 1 TB and not working after literally 1 single use. Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: WD Elements 1023 1TB media write protected; Not recognized

[ Edited ]

sounds like something got corrupt. Maybe Testdisk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk will fix it.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
h2whoa

Testdisk says that the partition is ok and gives me the option to load a back up or make a new partition. I've seen other posts about this problem without any solutions for it. I just find it strange that the hard drive was used once and then 3 hours later it changes to write protected mode and can't be recognized by any operating system. Here are the other posts on this forum I've found with the same issue and no resolution:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Externals/WD-Elements-1023-1TB-Write-Protected-Wont-Show-Wont-Form...

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Not-initialize-d-and-Media-write-producted/td-p/10580...

Occasional Visitor
Marianela_min

I have the same problem, any solutions yet? :smileysad:.. I'v 7 years of my life on it.. I'm 22..:smileysad:...

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Try going into the device manager and deleting the driver for the external then disconnect drive safely and reboot system and reconnect.Sometimes a fresh driver works on the read only problem.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
cpitz

Has anyone figured out a solution to this???  This is so frustrating.   I too JUST bought this, used the HD for 3 hours and now it is unrecognized as a drive and write protected!   Nothing seems to be working

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

[ Edited ]

h2who

Did you check permissions and ownership on the drive? They can cause problems too. One of the Linux apps that run from CD like Knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html There are others also like Ubuntu and UBCD for Windows http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm has some other stuff added. One of these may allow you to retrieve data. I've experimented with USBCD but never had to use it. Basically these intstall a Linux app to a temp file and allow you to navigate without Windows actually runnung. They don't actually install you your PC.

Joe

Occasional Visitor
morpheus2480

I am experiencing this same problem. I have a WD 500gb Elements external drive. model # WDBABV5000ABK

I have the same problem

-Drive is not recognized on any Windows OS (Vista on my desktop, XP on my laptop)

-Tried different cable

- Drive shows up in Disk management as "Not Initialized". I try to initialize and it says "Media is write protected"

-TestDisk sees the drive, but is unable to locate a partition

-I have tried modifying Registry keys as I have seen in previous threads, no change

-I tried deleting the driver in Device Manager, rebooting, reinstalled the driver. no change

-WD Datalifeguard sees the drive. SMART status says= PASSED. Quick Test= PASS. Extended Test= Fail, too many bad sectors.

As you know, the big issue people have is not the actual loss of the drive itself, but the DATA we put on there (pictures, documents etc.) Please help.

Occasional Visitor
morpheus2480

Test Option:QUICK TEST
Model Number:WD Elements 1023
Unit Serial Number:WXF1A40K4563
Firmware Number:2005
Capacity:500.11 GB
SMART Status:PASS
Test Result:PASS
Test Time:17:38:22, June 22, 2011
Test Option:EXTENDED TEST
Model Number:WD Elements 1023
Unit Serial Number:WXF1A40K4563
Firmware Number:2005
Capacity:500.11 GB
SMART Status:PASS
Test Result:FAIL
Test Error Code:08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time:17:38:36, June 22, 2011

Honored Contributor
Wizer

Too many bad sectors will require for you to replace the drive. Please contact WD or create the request here

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD