Occasional Contributor
inthehills
Accepted Solution

WD 1tb Elements hard drive problem

This drive stopped working today, it still powers up - can feel it spin, the light on front flashes, but both computers I tried hooking this to say that the drive is not formatted. I down loaded the WD data lifeguard diagnostic program, it says the drive #, Model#, Serial#, Capacity, and that the drive past the smart test. In the logical drive section just the letter of the drive comes up, nothing for file system, total space or used space. When I try to do a quick test I get the following "quicktest on drive did not complete. status code =07 [FAILED READ TEST ELEMENT] Failure checkpoint = 97 Smart test did not complete on drive.

In Computer management the drive comes up with the proper letter, says its 931.51GB, 100% free, healthy, but nothing for the file system, it should be NTFS.

I am at a loss for what happened, but is my only option to format or re-format this drive? I had 850 GB's of movies on this. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

MODEL# WD10EADS External

Respected Contributor
Wayne

Re: WD 1tb Elements hard drive problem

I would assume that your partition got corrupted.  Or, you have some corrupted files.  You will need to look for a data recovery software that restores partitions.  Otherwise, delete the partition, repartition and reformat the drive.

Occasional Contributor
inthehills

I have tried to re-format the drive, but none of my computers have been succesful. I get a pop up that the drive is not formatted, but when I try to format it there is always a message about Windows not being able to complete the format. this is in quick  format. In computer management the drive comes up as G drive 931.51 GB raw Healthy primary partition 100% free. I have tried to access this drive on 3 different computers with the same results every time, 2 have xp and 1 has win 7. The drives light is on steady then it blinks 15-20 times very quickly then back to solid, thats all it does.

I have tried a full format and it seems to have worked, the light is on steady and I can see that the drive is now nfts formatted and accesable. Thanks.

Occasional Advisor
axaznguitony26

[ Edited ]

not sure if this would work or not since you reformmate already.

I only lost 10gb of my files, it depends on where the error is at

I fixed all my problems.

MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional Edition is needed and wipe zero volume for external hard drive(you will not loss any file)  it will say that you don't have any files on the external hard drive but you really do so don't worry about it.

Go to wipe partition and pick wipe zero numbers. when it  finishes go to run and type in cmd and click ok.

next type in CHKDSK F: /F (dependins on where you external plug is in)

don't close it out when it says processing at the end because it's not finish it. it will then do a restore ophran.

you will know when it finishes because the pc will open up the external hard drive.

Next go to my window  right click on the external hard drive then click on properties.

it will say that the recycle bin in the external hard drive is corrupted, YES DELETE THE Corrupted RECYCLE BIN.

then it should allow you to acess the files.

If you have windows 7 you have to make yourself the owner again so this what you do after deleting the recycle bin.

go back to my computer, click on propeties and then security.

next click on edit then click on whichever name you want to give owner too then check all the boxes then that's it.

Occasional Visitor
Steve_D

I'm not familar with the MiniTool Partition Wizard software.  Is the "wipe zero volume for external hard drive" function available the free Home edition or just the Professional?  

Occasional Visitor
jeantom

I had this problem with my 1 gb hard drive and a friend had exactly the same problem with his 2 gb hard drive.

i downloaded a partition recovery program call "EASEUS PARTITION RECOVERY"i used the free version , using this software i had  100% success on my H.D recovering over 800 GB of stored data.using the same software on my friends H.D i managed to get the drive working again perfectly but unfortunately lost his data [I probably did something differently].hope this imformation will help some of you in cyber land,this appears to be a very common problem and am surprised that W.D. doesnt put out a partition recovery program itself surely it would save them thousands of dollars in warrenty claims

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD