Occasional Contributor
markshim

WD 1Tb elements external hard drive if freezing windows 7 64bit help plz

hi guys,

i have just got my WD elments 1TB external hard drive and plugged it all in, windows found everything ok.

i have it plugged in with the power supply that came with it and the usb that came with it.

i started to copy my movies from my internal hard drive to the WD one and after about 10 mins it froze windows 7 64 bit and my pc, i had to reboot.

i am using windows 7 64 bit

can someone help me please? :smileysad:

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Re: WD 1Tb elements external hard drive if freezing windows 7 64bit help plz

[ Edited ]

Hi dude, If were you, I'd reformat the drive and then test it for erros with DLG...... It can be the drive itself!

Hope it helps!

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Community Manager
Bill_S

In this case, reformating isn't just right-clicking the drive and choosing reformat.  You will need to go into Disk Management, delete the existing partition (which wipes out all your data as well), then repartition and format the drive.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Frequent Advisor
Lomalith

Better yet, I would Write Zeros with DLG, and then! run an extended test with it. Better chances of fixing any issues =P

"Growl through the pain..." - Artemis Entreri
Occasional Contributor
markshim

Hi guys,

just letting you know i think i have fixed the problem. My anti virus programs was stopping the WD drive from autorunning when i plugged it in. After i turn off the autorun safe function the blue WD icon was found for the drive name.

i have now put across all my movies and music without any freezes. :smileyhappy:

also i put the USB cable into the back of my PC instead of the front, not sure if that made any difference or not though.

Thank you for your replys.

Mark :smileyhappy:

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

It frequently makes a difference using a back port! Which AV?

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Contributor
markshim

i use Avira Premium as my antivirus

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD