Occasional Visitor
DJ_PIX

WD 1TB elements freezes up windows 7

hey all,

when trying to copy from my internal HD to my extenal any decent size file (500mb+) the transfer gets about 50% thru then stops, the hard drive switches off, windows freezes and i cannot do anything (internet explorer opens but cant find anything, cant open any programs etc.) but i can min / max. windows i already have open. you can click start>restart but nothing happens, the computer needs to be manually turned off and back on to restart it! Now i know the drive is not faulty as i connected it to my P4 XP machine last night and it transferred 50GB at once with no dramas at all! Also i can transfer files off the external back onto 7 no worries at all?!?!? If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated as this is a lot of money spent on a drive that only works with my obsolete machine

Occasional Visitor
xmariner

Re: WD 1TB elements freezes up windows 7

I have the same thing. Had it on Vista and 7 with Passport 320's and Elements 1TB.

I have heard that it is a 64 bit OS issue but I cannot believe that USB drives I bought less than a year ago don't work or that WD has not posted a solution.

I guess I sell em and go back to Seagate.

Occasional Visitor
ncraig

I have a 2TB that totally locks up the computer every time I plug it in. I get delayed write file errors, and the drive often blue screens the computer.

Windows XP SP2

Dell Latitue E6500

WD 2 TB  P/N A3C

I hate this hard drive.

Occasional Visitor
VillagePointe

Same problem.  I have 2TB My book Essentials.  It works fine with Vista but not in XP Prof. 

Called Tech.  They advised me that it will work only in USB 2.0 .

VISTA machine still has 1.0 and it works, why not in XP ?

TECH SUPPORT IS VERY BAD.

BETTER TO RETURN BACK THIS HARD DISK. 

SEAGATE WORKS FINE AND SO I WILL WAIT FOR THE DEAL AND REPLACE IT WITH SEAGATE.

Occasional Visitor
albrnick

I had the exact same issue!  I fixed it by plugging it into the USB at the back of the computer, and not the front/hub!

I hope that helps!

Peace,

-Nick

Advisor
-Reo-

[ Edited ]

I never have these issue yet, what I know is that probably all of the external harddrive(powered by usb) doesn't work on any usb hub because of the power transfered to usb hub are very low.  Tested.

There are no difference on front or back usb port, both are usable. Tested.

by the way, please specify which HDD you are using are having problem by giving the model number or the full name of the HDD(e.g. WD Elements Portable, WD Elements Portable SE, WD Element Desktop)

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD