Occasional Visitor
JonathanB21

WD 1TB External Hard Drive will not work on my new PC which is a ASUS but worked on a Mac

Hi new to this forum thing hopefully somebody can help me, I have recently brought a new notebook which is running on Windows 7 and I plugged my WD 1TB External Hard Drive (desktop) into the New computer and it is saying there is no files. But if I plug the Hard Drive back into the Mac it works, I think my last notebook ran on Windows XP and it also worked on that notebook up until it died. I really do not want to format the External as it has all my photos and music. If somebody can help would be great thank you. Jon

Esteemed Contributor
Awopero

Re: WD 1TB External Hard Drive will not work on my new PC which is a ASUS but worked on a Mac

The drive is Mac formatted, you need to backup your data and then reformat the drive into Fat32 to make it compatible with Mac and Windows computers. Check the WD Links below:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/291/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMzAyNDQ3MC9zaWQvQ3JCU25pVWs%...

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: WD 1TB External Hard Drive will not work on my new PC which is a ASUS but worked on a Mac

I've seen this http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html mentioned a couple times I don't know anything about Macs. Most of the software for Windows to read Mac format is paid.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD