Visitor
batfred

Samsung blu ray not recognising wd passport

I borrowed a 500gb passport to watch a tv series, was so impressed bought the 750gb, it wouldn't recognise my pc or friends mac, so took it back and they formatted it to exfac? I believe it was, so it would recognise both. My firend has now upload the tv series for me.  Now my PC sees all files, but when I plug it into the blu ray player the drive starts up but isn't recognised by the blu ray player? can you help.  Please bare in mind I am only a casual PC user.

Regular Advisor
pawson

Re: Samsung blu ray not recognising wd passport

hi

see here : http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-External-Drives/ct-p/external_drives

regards

pawson

______
pawson

WD HD TV LIVE RJ45 LINKED TO ROUTER
BOOK LIVE 2TB NAS
BOOK 3 TB USB
PASSPORT 1 TB USB
BB TYPE : NAT
ROUTER : DGT
Honored Contributor
RoofingGuy

The player probably needs it formatted to FAT32 (or possibly allows NTFS if it's very new) -- the manual will say what formatting is required.  I'm not surprised Samsung doesn't support EXFAT.

Wiki's take on EXFAT:

"The disadvantages compared to previous FAT versions include:

• Limited or no support outside PC/Mac environment at present — most current consumer electronics, such as televisions and A/V receivers, can only handle previous FAT versions..."

If you format it to FAT32, the drive should be accessible on your PC, on a Mac, and on the Sammy player -- the downside is that you can't have a file larger than 4GB, and Windows won't let you format a partition greater than 32GB -- you'd need to use a 3rd party utility to format the drive.

If the Sammy does support NTFS, that's a much better choice (and would have been what the drive shipped as).  The problem is that MacOS can't write to NTFS drives -- Macs see them as read-only.  If you need to write to the drive from a Mac, as well as from the PC, then you can get a free driver called NTFS-3G for the Mac, which will give it full access to the NTFS drive.

Visitor
batfred

Thank you for the information, I have looked in handbook it states, that only use devices formatted in FAT file system (DOS 8.3 volume label) and is recommeded to use USB devices that support USB 2.0 protocol, 4MB/sec or faster.

Sorry I don't understand how I use a 3rd party utiliy to format the drive.

Honored Contributor
RoofingGuy

Well, actually you may not need a third-party utility, since the drive is smaller than 1TB.

If you open a Command Prompt in Windows  (Start --> Run --> type "cmd" in the box, or in Win7 click the orb in the bottom left that doesn't say "Start" anymore, and type "cmd" in the search box), you may be able to format the drive with the DOS command:

format /FS:FAT32 X:

but replace X: with the drive letter of the drive you need to format.  Be careful to get the right letter. :smileywink:

If that doesn't do it, there are tons of free utilities to download, that can do it.  I've never used any, so I can't personally recommend one, but "fat32 formatter" or "fat32 format utility" or something like that in a Google search should get you lots of choices.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD