Occasional Visitor
Jwilder

Password Recovery

i bought my wd external hardrive awhile back and havent had to use it recently. i have completley forgotten my password and i was wondering if theres anyway to be able to change it or get it sent to my email somehow, or if im gonna just have to get another one.

Community Manager
Bill_S

Re: Password Recovery

There is no way to recover the password on our password protected drives.  You can only error out the password 5x's (I think) and it will ask you if you want to reformat it.  Then you can reformat.  However, you will lose all of your data.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Occasional Visitor
g00fa

but what if the password sets itself???

you probably think it's not possible, but it happened today. I plug my drive to my wife's windows 7 laptop and after pluging it again with my pc it wan't me to give a f***n password. there's no hint or anything.

what's more interesting I've found at least few people with the same problem in 15 minutes search. I don't belive there's no way to get my data back, especially that I have pictures from whole my life there...

Community Manager
Bill_S

You will need to contact WD Technical Support about this. 

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Occasional Visitor
camer

I heard ProteMac KeyBag PRO ( www.protemac.com ) is good app too for password recovery, anybody used it?

Established Member
masahebpour

Password Recovery

hi
my WD 1T is locked and formated !
Any recovery information I had not returned
Information are very important in my HDD
Please help me to be able to get my lost data recover

HDD password wrong three times and then got a message that I should format the external hard drive! I have done it but now I'm trying to recover data but had managed to restore Atlaatm did!

please help

thanks

Occasional Visitor
JulieP31

What's the purpose of purchasing an external hard drive if you can't access it!  If I had known there was no password recovery method on this device I never would have purchased it.  This is my computer backup - I'm going to lose my data now because of this password issue - and the funny thing is that I believe 100% I am inputting my password correctly!  Anyone figured out a way to override the password or recovery/reset the password?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

A couple people who had password problems were able to  access use another account like guest account. Nothing to loose by trying. I think you get 5 tried then a message to clean drive. To reset and get 5 more triee remove drive properly unplug if powered and reboot. As far as I know there is no method other than brute force software attempting to break password.
Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD