Occasional Visitor
Brian63

Model: WDBAAU0020HBK SLOW!

Looking for help, I have a Model: WDBAAU0020HBK, WD Elements Desktop External Hard Drive
2 TB, USB 2.0.....   The drive is moving so slow I can not use unit... Things I have tried: different computers, different usb ports, new usb cable.  

Any help would be great.

Tks

Brian

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: Model: WDBAAU0020HBK SLOW!

What are you using the drive for? Did you try going into Device Manager right click on drive Policies and change to better preformance? You won't be able to hot swap if you do this.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Honored Contributor
RoofingGuy

[ Edited ]

How are you defining "slow"?

I don't think any of the USB2 drives list burst speeds of over 480Mb/s which would be 60MB/s.

By the time you factor in the fact that that's the burst speed, and not sustained, and that the performance will be worse if other USB traffic is occurring at the same, I wouldn't count on seeing a sustained transfer speed above 30MB/s if it's the only active USB2 device, and probably closer to 10-20MB/s if other devices are making use of the USB bus at the same time.  10-30MB/s seems "just about right" for USB2 480Mb/s drives.

So, are you getting like 1MB/s or lower?  Because that would definitely be "slow."

Or is 10-30MB/s just "not fast enough?"

Occasional Visitor
Brian63

Thanks....

I have been storing movie/videos, but after moving the disk drive around to a few different computers, it now seems real slow to me. 

Is there a way to test the speed of the usb drive?

Tks 

Brian

Honored Contributor
RoofingGuy

[ Edited ]

If you're just drag 'n drop with Windows, it usually tells you the transfer speed in the popup window, along with the remaining time.

Or you could use a free tool like HDTune. http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

(just the free HDTune, not the paid HDTune Pro, is all you'd need)

As I said, 30MB/s seems about "normal" for a USB2 drive:

As I said, that's without other USB traffic.  Usually if I'm writing to/from two MyBooks at the same time, their speeds are in the 17-20 MB/s range each, but I have seen it go lower, depending on how hard things are being worked.

Honored Contributor
RoofingGuy

[ Edited ]

... for comparison, my SATA internal drives usually average in the 90 MB/s range which is in the right ballpark (spec sheets list 110 MB/s, but the drive's generally been in use whenever I've run a test), so compared to an internal drive, the USB drives are 3 to 5 times as slow.

If you're used to internal speeds, then ya, it's gonna seem slow, even if it's working properly at a reasonable maximum sustained speed.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD