Visitor
osoblanco

Re: MY Book av with Scientific atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox

SA8300HD with Cox Phoenix and new Passport software. I too have the stuttering problem and have not  found a solution. I started with a WD640GB, aluminum enclosure. Replaced the DVR, no change; then bought a 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander and still have the problem. I would appreciate hearing from any one that has a solution.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Re: MY Book av with Scientific atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox

Your post was blank. Using IE9? Check this post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/m-p/167170/message-uid/16...

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Frequent Visitor
RandyR

Re: MY Book av

[ Edited ]
I started getting the same freezing problem last night after a good stretch of no problems. It was during a taping and watching of hockey while American Idol also taped in the background. I deleted the hockey taping and continued to watch live. Afterward I tried to watch American Idol but no deal. Freezing and skipping to the end of the recording. So I left it to this morning and got into the sevice menu of the Pace RNG200N. I noticed defrag problems with the Pace drive but the WD drive showed no problems. So I did a defrag of the Pace Drive and then went to the Idol taping to test. Watched it for 5 minutes with no problems. My combined used drive space is 38%. I am going to watch Idol with my spouse tonight. If I have no problems tonight I would suggest that would indicate that the job of the PVRs controlling tapings needs some intermittent attention at times. We'll see!
Frequent Visitor
RandyR

Well, it worked. Watched the same recording without a problem. Why can't WD work out these problems? Oh well. Baby steps.
Trancer

Thread moved to WD External Drives: Other Externals

Trancer.
Occasional Visitor
wg___

Re: MY Book av with Scientific Atlanta explorer 8300 HD box

[ Edited ]

After reading some My Book product reviews on Amazon.com that mentioned that the cause of this and similar problems is the eSATA cable that comes with the My Book drive,  I ordered a StarTech 3-Feet Shielded External eSATA Cable M/M (ESATA3) that Amazon lists as "frequently bought together" with the My Book drive.

I was able to confirm that my Cablevision SA8300HD DVR would not work with the My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive when connected with the cable that came with My Book, but worked well, producing crystal clear recordings when connected with the Star Tech eSATA cable.

Now the only remaining problem that is that overnight, the DVR enters a sleep mode and appears to put the My Book drive into a sleep mode as well from which neither seems to wake very well, causing the DVR to respond to remote commands with a long delay and to display shows with pauses and pixilation, making them unwatchable. The brute force solution is to unplug the DVR, unplug the eSATA cable from the DVR, plug the DVR again and wait until it finishes the boot sequence and only then plug the eSATA cable back in. That sequence also seems to work better for the initial hook-up than the sequence suggested by WD (connect eSATA cable, plug in My Book, plug in DVR) that caused the Cablevision SA8300HD to go into an unending re-boot loop.

The only work around that I found so far is to prevent the DVR and the drive from going to sleep by recording TCM movies all night long. That works fine but you need to delete these movies every so often.

Any more elegant solutions would be much appreciated.

Frequent Collector
donoa724

I have all the same problems with my two replacement My Book AVs. Replacements are 2 TB, originals were 1 TB. Wondered if that was causing the problems.

Also have the same issue with the DVR going to sleep and than not working with the My Book upon re-awakening. Your "brute force" method causes all recorded videos to be erased when My Book gets formatted to reconnect to DVR.

One would think that Western Digital would refund the money paid for all these faulty drives just to get us to stop writing about these issues in their forum. I think the next step should be multiple emails to CNET & ZDNET informing them of the poor product performance and worse customer support from Western Digital. These products should be taken off the market by a product recall!

Occasional Advisor
hgratt

Just wanted to add some further observations/comments about this device. Several weeks ago I purchased a 1 TB My Book AV  for use as a backup external eSata drive for a windows 7 laptop (Dell Latitude E6320). Most of the time the drive would obtain less tha 1/10 of the rated eSata speed. I returned the drive and obtained another one -  with the same dismal results.

Thinking I had a corrupted win 7 problem I was ready to reinstall. However, before embarking on the reinstall, I decided to purchase a different brand of drive - an external eSata G-Drive (primarily for Macs). I reformatted it to NTFS and have been using it for 2 weeks now without a problem. It does appear that these WD drives and/or supplied eSata cables are inherently defective.

Thanks,

Harvey

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD