Occasional Contributor
cbear55

MY Book av with Scientific atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox

So I have the My book AV hooked up to cablevisions Scientific atlanta exploerer 8300 hd. I continuely get pixalations and freezing all threw my recordings. Especially happens when i am watching a sporting event and typing sometine else. When taping 2 shoes we continually get pixalation and sound distoration.  When recording and watching live tv i get the pixelation on both the live and taped video. I am connected to the cable box by a esata connection. I tried looking on this site to see if there was a firmware fix. Any advice?

Visitor
Anthonyd51

Re: MY Book av with Scientific atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox

[ Edited ]

I thought my cable box was the problem(doing exactly what yours was doing ..Digitizing some shows so bad that they were unwatchable) so I had it changed,now my new box won't recognize the expander at all.....Can anyone help?

Occasional Visitor
adg1376

I am having the same problem.

I have the MY Book AV 1tb box hooked up to a Cablevision (Optimum) Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300hd box.

I get pixalations, distortion, stuttering whether I am just playing back a recording, watching a recording while something else is recording, or if I watch a program while something else is recording.

I have changed the eSATA cable attached to the hard drive, but that was not it.

Should I replace the cablebox or is this a faulty drive that simply can't keep up.

HELP! I am getting very frustrated and I am at my wits end.

Occasional Visitor
adg1376

I think the documentation states that the drive can only be recognized by one cable box at a time, so it will probably need to be reformatted for it to work; how that happens, I don't know.

Anthonyd51 wrote:

I thought my cable box was the problem(doing exactly what yours was doing ..Digitizing some shows so bad that they were unwatchable) so I had it changed,now my new box won't recognize the expander at all.....Can anyone help?

TVLuv

Same problem here.

The cable guys (Videotron), told me that the WD drive is following an eSATA II spec and the Scientific Atlanta explorer 8300HD is eSATA I. Unsure if this is true or not? Anyone knows?

Basically, the drive would be streaming at a higher speed than what the 8300HD is capable of receiving.

Apparently the problem does not exist with 500GB drives.

I have also been told that reformatting the two drives (and loosing all content) may solve the problem..

Does this make any sense? Or is there a quick fix I could try?

The exact drive model is WDG1S10000VN ESATA RT

Frequent Collector
donoa724

Re: MY Book av with Scientific Atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox

[ Edited ]

I am having the exact same problem. I thought the problem was with my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD. Now reading the other replies I'm not so sure. Has anyone received an answer to the stuttering and pixilation problem? My DVR has minor problems without the DVR Expander but becomes totally unwatchable when the DVR Expander is connected.

Frequent Collector
donoa724

I spoke with WD Tech Support today because both of my MY Book AVs have major pixilation and screen freezes. I told the tech that I had replaced both of my Scientific Atlanta 8300HDs and there were no problems with them until I installed the new MU Book AVs. He then told me after some research that the symptoms I am having with both MY Book AVs is due to file corruption on the drive file systems. I explained that both drives exhibited the same symptoms as soon as they were installed.

They issued me two more RMAs and are shipping two new replacement drives. If these don't work properly, I intend to get refunds for both. I'll let you know the results after I've installed the next new drives.

Visitor
azodyssey

I am having the same problems with my SA8300HD DVR, with Cox Cable in Phx.  I have a 1TB WD "My DVR Expander".  The 8300HD DVR recognized the DVR Expander, formatted it, and can record on it; however I have extreme problems with stuttering and pixelation.  In another topic (see 

1TB DVR Expander Stutters

) in this community, one of the posts suggests that replacing the 8300HD DVR solved the problem and that the problem was caused by a defective eSata port on the DVR.  Another post in the same topic offered a method to view the detailed configuration data to help diagnose the problem, but that method was software-specific, and I could not get it to work on my unit.  

This is the scond 1TB DVR Expander I have bought; the first one would not work with this DVR at all; and I also switched from a SA8240HDC DVR that would not recognize the DVR Expander at all.

Cox Cable has been of no help whatsoever, but all the documentaton around indicates that the 1TB MY DVR Expander and the SA8300HD DVR should be compatible.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Frequent Collector
donoa724

Re: MY Book AV with Scientific Atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox

New issue with MY Book AV with Scientific atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox. Now when I connect the DVR Expander to my Scientific atlanta explorer 8300 DVR the "DVD" control functions no longer work incl. (Forward, Reverse, Rec. & Pause.) They only work if I remove the DVR Expander & restart the 8300. WD replaced my 1 TB DVR Expander with a 2 TB unit. I can't find it anywhere on the WD website. Any ideas?

PS: The other replacement MY Book AV seems to work fine with my second Scientific atlanta explorer 8300 hdbox.

azodyssey wrote:

I am having the same problems with my SA8300HD DVR, with Cox Cable in Phx.  I have a 1TB WD "My DVR Expander".  The 8300HD DVR recognized the DVR Expander, formatted it, and can record on it; however I have extreme problems with stuttering and pixelation.  In another topic (see 

1TB DVR Expander Stutters

) in this community, one of the posts suggests that replacing the 8300HD DVR solved the problem and that the problem was caused by a defective eSata port on the DVR.  Another post in the same topic offered a method to view the detailed configuration data to help diagnose the problem, but that method was software-specific, and I could not get it to work on my unit.  

This is the scond 1TB DVR Expander I have bought; the first one would not work with this DVR at all; and I also switched from a SA8240HDC DVR that would not recognize the DVR Expander at all.

Cox Cable has been of no help whatsoever, but all the documentaton around indicates that the 1TB MY DVR Expander and the SA8300HD DVR should be compatible.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor
RandyR

Re: MY Book av with Pace PVR

[ Edited ]

I have a Pace PVR.  When I first hooked up the  MY Book AV DVR Expander it worked perfectly.  A couple of weeks later it started freezing during recordings.  I replaced the cable and that did not solve the problem.  Be aware that the ESATA cable that comes with these units is only a type 1 which restricts data transfer to 1.5GBs.   So I bought a type 3 which is good for 6GBs.  I took the unit off and hooked it up to my computer, deleted the sectors and hooked it up to my PVR.  The Pace PVR asked to reformat to which I selected yes.  Problems are now solved.  The only thing I can think of that caused the initial problem was firmware updates on the Pace PVR.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD