Occasional Advisor
RJL24
Accepted Solution

Is my 1.5TB external off or on when I power down?

Windows 7, HP notebook,

When I turn notebook off the white light at the back of the WD 1.5tb drive blinks intermittently.

The external hdd seems not to be whirring, (I could be wrong), but I am unsure if this is what it is supposed to do, or if device is on or off.

I wish to keep things simple without having to do an additional step if possible, that is when I turn off my computer I want all my externals to turn off.  Usually I suppose no light would mean off, a white light blinking may mean ON.

What does the blinking white light coming from the back of the external drive mean?

And, how and I make it stop when the computer is off?

Thanks in advance,

Windows 7, HP Notebook, 1.5TB Western Digital external (W drive - backup), also two other external hdd drives, (F Drive, 120GB - main, and K drive 250GB - 2nd backup) and use notebook C drive (250GB) only for programs.
Occasional Advisor
RJL24

Re: Is my 1.5TB external off or on when I power down?

Neglected to mention that WD drive is connected to a hub and not directly connected to the notebook.  Too few USB ports on the notebook.

Windows 7, HP Notebook, 1.5TB Western Digital external (W drive - backup), also two other external hdd drives, (F Drive, 120GB - main, and K drive 250GB - 2nd backup) and use notebook C drive (250GB) only for programs.
Occasional Advisor
RJL24

Re: Is my 1.5TB external off or on when I power down?

Found a solution: connect the usb cable directly to the computer.  This turns off the blinking light when i power down or hibernate the computer.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD