Occasional Contributor
scopexxx

How to fix WD Elements slow transfer speeds

I had problems with very slow transfer speeds on my WD Elements, when I would transfer lot of files (300GB) or more from one WD Element to another, the speed would slow way down....
The transfer speed would become painfully slow, (1,5MB/s), and so transfering files over to a WD Element became all most a Nightmare!
BUT then, I started to think...what if it's not the hardrive's fault.? what if it's Windows slowing my WD Elements down!? hmm...
So I did a search on google and found out that my Vista Window Auto-Tuning is causing the slow copy/transfer speeds on my external drives. I disabled it and all so installed "Teracopy" ,which is a good copy program and now my transfer speed on my WD Elements is around 18-21MB/s all the time :smileyvery-happy:.
I have six WD Elements 2TB, and all are running perfect with 18-21MB/s of transfer speeds :smileyhappy:

How to Speed Up File-Copy Speed on Vista
----------------------------------------------
Here is the link to how to disable "Window Auto-Tuning"
http://www.ehow.com/how_7358754_speed-up-file_copy-speed-vista.html

Here is the link to TeraCopy freeware program.
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Disable "Window Auto-Tuning" and install "TeraCopy", this will help you speed up your
WD Element, It truly helped me! (this fix will work for other external drives to I would think)

Esteemed Contributor
Lawrence

Re: How to fix WD Elements slow transfer speeds

Thats a very good link...very good. But just remeber that this is a 3rd party company not supported by WD therefore be prepaired for any future issues being that this was not tested with the product. But I have to admit I tryed it and.....I kinda like it

"Study the lie and they will make new lies up...Study the truth and you will know when the lie comes."
Honored Contributor
Joe_S

I have heard TerraCopy recommended by some knowledgable people over on Windows 7 forum.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Esteemed Contributor
Lawrence

Yes sir!!   I now realize The terracopy program just speeded up my firewire port.  Its dangeroulsy fast thanks for the intel.

"Study the lie and they will make new lies up...Study the truth and you will know when the lie comes."
Occasional Visitor
W_T_JFF

If the above isn't working when you do large data transfers on Windows then before doing the transfer turn off the search indexing service.  Afterwards, turn it back on.

Worked for me.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD