Visitor
Joann789

Help! My computer crashed and I can't restore my backups from my WD Element external hard drive!

My WD Elements saved my backup documents in a weird format that I am not familiar with  and it is not restoring what I want.  I had physically copied all my data when I first got  it back in August of last year, and those are the only files I can access.  The WD backups start with FTBFiles_000, and when I try to restore, the computer is not recognizing this file format.  Can anyone help me?  I am desperate.  All my work is in there.

Please help!!!

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Re: Help! My computer crashed and I can't restore my backups from my WD Element external hard drive

You need to re-install the BACKUP software (the software that CREATED those files)  to restore them.

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Visitor
Joann789

Re: Help! My computer crashed and I can't restore my backups from my WD Element external hard drive

[ Edited ]

The backup software is there on my computer's operating system from Windows Vista.  I did what it said and it just put them in a different format that I still can't read.  It made all kinds of folders with nothing in them.  

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

What I am saying is that YOU are NOT going to be able to read the files.

Only the backup software that CREATED the files will be able to read them using its RESTORE functions.

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Honored Contributor
Joe_S

If it's Smartware you may need the same verision you backedup with. You may have to make a retrieve folder to copy the backup into.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
Joann789

I did use the restore function and still unable to read them.  It is just a bunch of empty folders. 

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

What software did you use for backup? Elements is a plug and play drive with no software.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD