Occasional Contributor
the1thepwnly

Hard Drive Not Showing Up In My Computer

Hi all. I have a WD 1tb portable elements and all of a sudden it stopped working. I plugged it into my computer and nothing shows up. It makes the connected sound and the light on the hdd is steady and doesnt flicker. I ran the lifeguard disgnostics on it and the quick scan came up clean. the extended scan couldn't run because of "Too many bad sectors". How can I recover my data. It is very important to me and I would very much like to have it back.

Respected Contributor
Wayne

Re: Hard Drive Not Showing Up In My Computer

you're most likely looking at data recovery. that's if they can recover it.

Frequent Visitor
Ray-J

I've got the same problem with my WD 1.5tb Elements, I ran  lifeguard diagnostics and the extended scan said "too many Bad sectors" :smileysad:  ............... I rang WD support about 20 min ago and they said get some recovery software, recover what you can and then re-format WD drive............................. Great!

So, can anyone recommend good recovery software ??

Cheers, Ray-J

Respected Contributor
Wayne

some of wd's recovery partners host recovery software on their websites.  but you will need to pay for the better ones.

Frequent Visitor
Ray-J

Don't matter now, i took it to the shop he open the case and the drive is fried :smileysad: .................Not Happy WD

Respected Contributor
Wayne

unless the drive was burned in a fire, and even still then, you should be able to still take it to data recovery for your data. 

Occasional Visitor
kamesh

hi im kamesh,

I have the same problem with my 1 tb ,can u help me out in recovering the data?..pls...

the1thepwnly wrote:

Hi all. I have a WD 1tb portable elements and all of a sudden it stopped working. I plugged it into my computer and nothing shows up. It makes the connected sound and the light on the hdd is steady and doesnt flicker. I ran the lifeguard disgnostics on it and the quick scan came up clean. the extended scan couldn't run because of "Too many bad sectors". How can I recover my data. It is very important to me and I would very much like to have it back.

Occasional Visitor
kamesh

hi can u suggest some data recovery sft wares?

Respected Contributor
Wayne

[ Edited ]

data recovery software won't help you unless the drive is still spinning.  if you have a smartware drive, then you won't be able to take the drive out of the case, because the internal drive is hardware encrypted.  if the drive is spinning, there is a chance that the bridge board in the case died, rather than the drive.  if so, you could spend the money to get another drive like the one you have and swap out the internal drives.  however, do understand that in both cases you will void the warranties on both drives.

[edit]

and you still may not access the data, which means you may have to go to data recovery after all.  I would contact fzabkar here in the community.  he may be able to help you if you experienced a power spike.

Occasional Visitor
Silvershark

Hi , i had the same problem , and i lost all my files. The problem is that the WD Hard drive does not have a Drive Letter E.g A:   B: C:  (Drives, like when you see your system files in ) You set you WD hard Drive a Drive Letter you Conect you WD hard drive , then search Disk management in the start bar.You then should see a window open with Disk 0-6 (or more/Less), You should see your WD Hard drive neer the bottom (If you cant find it Dissconnect your hard drive and reconnect it to see which one it is )(make sure the window is big) Right click on the WD hard drive and click "Change Drive Letter adn paths" .A smal box should come up with "Add:" Change: and "Remove" , click the Add . Then another box will come up , there will be 2 options 1: Assign the following drive Letters  (Choose this one), and then if you want choose a letter that you wish.  Click ok , and now it should come up in "My computer".  

Enjoy,

SS

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD