Occasional Visitor
aZn137

Element + Win7 = The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I have a WD Element 2 TB, WEWDBAAU0020. My issue is when I have the drive plugged in, my Windows will fail to boot. I get past POST and everything, it's stuck after the "flying windows logo" screen. I only get a black screen right after the flying logo disappears. When I unplug the drive and let Windows start, it's completely fine.

I've tried disable USB Legacy storage device in BIOS with no help. In my system event log, I see "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.", which is the culprit drive.

My setup is:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 6.1.7600.16695

EVGA Mobo, 132-BL-E758

North Bridge Intel X58 Revision 13

South Bridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R)

Revision 13 CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz

Cpu Socket Socket 1366 LGA

Maximum Capacity 6144 MBytes Maximum

Memory Module Size 2048 MBytes

BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275

Please help. Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: Element + Win7 = The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.

While in the BIOS did you make sure USB is after the HD in boot order? It's frequently set on boot from USB by default to load at build time.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
aZn137

Re: Element + Win7 = The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.

Yes, that is correct. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get to the windows logo flying screen.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD