Occasional Visitor
tammyk

Computer Doesn't Recognize External Hard Drive

I have a basic WD external hard drive. Suddenly, when I plug it into my computer, the computer isn't recognizing it.

I also plugged it into my husband's computer. Not recognized. It was working about 3 days ago. Anywhere I can find this, other than MY COMPUTER?  I am not that computer literate, but I know that there is a problem here. Has my 4 year olds' pics on it since they were born (and everything from my HP laptop that died after only 2 years). EEK. Thanks!

Occasional Visitor
sips67

Re: Computer Doesn't Recognize External Hard Drive

Hi Tammiyk,

I have the same problem. I have tried to update driver, BIOS, unplugged, re-plugged. It has taken hours so far and I bet this has taken a lot of your time too. Frustrating!!!

I emailed the WD team yesterday  and waiting for their reply. As soon as I hear from them and the problem is solved, I'll let you know.

It isn't th drive so much, but the important files that I have stored on it that bothers me the most.

Good luck,

Scott

Visitor
klute

Scott.

Did you get a reply to the question ? I no longer  have the WD icon in my computer. Any help appreciated

Klute

Esteemed Contributor
thanarath

tammyk,

On your computer, are you running windows? XP, Vista, Win7

How about your husband computer?

Does it ask for any driver when you first plug it in?

Such as WD SES driver for example...

If it does, you could prompt it to WD Smartware folder, Extra and then WD SES Device Driver folder.

If this driver is not install, that is why the WD external drive is not being see by the other computer.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Frequent Visitor
TNGIBBY

I have an older basic WD EBOOK MODEL WD5000C032 external hard drive. When I pluged into my computer after a trip, the computer isn't recognizing it. My DELL Computer System runs on XP. What can I do to get my driver back?

Esteemed Contributor
thanarath

When you connected  WD EBOOK MODEL WD5000C032 external hard drive

to your DELL Computer System runs on XP.

Does the LED light blinking?

Does it spin up or making any noise?

Does anything thing pop up on the Dell XP screen? Asking for driver or anything.

Does the disk manager shown any unknown devices?

Here is how to get to Device Manager: Right click on My Computer, Manage, Device Manager.

Have you tried a known good 12V AC adapter?

Have you tried a different USB cable?

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Frequent Visitor
TNGIBBY

Does the LED light blinking? Round led Light stays on.

Does it spin up or making any noise? It seems to spin up and ventilate.

Does anything thing pop up on the Dell XP screen? Asking for driver or anything. Install wizard pops up looking for driver.

Does the disk manager shown any unknown devices? No.

Here is how to get to Device Manager: Right click on My Computer, Manage, Device Manager.

Shows device Properly working.

Have you tried a known good 12V AC adapter? Have 12v dc power.

Have you tried a different USB cable? Have tried a new / different cable.

Esteemed Contributor
thanarath

According to your answer:

Does anything thing pop up on the Dell XP screen? Asking for driver or anything. Install wizard pops up looking for driver.

Did you prompt it to install the WD SES driver?

You can download it from here

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=101&sid=38&lang=en

Occasional Visitor
CAlanDavis

The same thing happend to me last night.  Today. I purchased another USB cable and was able to see my Ext drive.

However, I lost over half my files.

Occasional Visitor
walt_palmer

Found it!!

I've been fighting this same issue for a couple days (off and on) - I have both Vista and XP. Could not get either to let me eject the external WD Elements drives; then they wouldn't recognize it upon re-connect..

The problem is not Vista or XP, but the WD Drive Manager software that had been installed from the older WD drives. Simply remove the WD Button Manager/WD Drive Manager software and you can now connect and "Safely remove" as needed.

The reporting of "another program is using the drive" is actually real. The program was the WD Disk Manager, and as soon as I dumped it from the Task Manager, I was able to dismount the drive gracefully. I removed the program from the system, and now I can mount/dismount the drives as needed - with now hassles.

-Walt.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD