Occasional Advisor
rhintintin

Cannot copy to WD Elements 1tb

Hi

I'm having serious problems copying large files (the file I'm currently struggling with is 14gb) to my External drive.

I have tried using TeraCopy and Unstopable Copier and the result is the same. The copy gets stuck around the 285mb mark. It gets stuck in the same place each time on all programs. I've tried network copying and copying when plugged into USB.

I've tried checking the disk for errors (its fine, as it should be, its only a few months old), I've defraged and now I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can try? This is driving me mad. The drive has around 650gb of data already on it and I've no room to back all that up so I need something that doesn't involve formatting!

Cheers

Occasional Advisor
rhintintin

Re: Cannot copy to WD Elements 1tb

update on this. Its not just large files now. I tried incrementally rarring the files I wanted to copy over at 96mb a pop. I cannot even copy one of the rars over. I am able to torrent directly onto the drive but that is about it. I'm starting to get a bit worried about the data that I've got on the drive. I've never run into a problem like this before on a HD.

Occasional Advisor
rhintintin

meh. I'm shifting files the only way that it seems to work... by torrent :smileysad:

Setup a tracker using utorrent on my own IP, downloaded a second torrent client and am seeding to myself. Irritatingly I'm only getting 300kbps, slower than if I was actually downloading a torrent. Still, at least it will get the job done.

I really do need some help with this though.

The copies are not getting stuck at the same place, contrary to what I said in my first post. I've also tried using different USB ports on my PC in case that was the problem.

I tried running defrag again but the system didn't seem to like that.

I do have a lot fo read only files on the drive, would this cause any problems? The folder I'm copying to is not read only though.

Cheers

Occasional Advisor
rhintintin

Right, update.

When trying to torrent this over I noticed that the transfer speed dropped to 10kbps after a few minutes. Same problem on other torrents saving to that drive.

Error message appears 100% disk overloaded.

Could this be linked? How can I resolve this and should I be worried about my drive?

Occasional Advisor
rhintintin

I think I've found a solution, although I'd love some comments on this as I am hazarding a guess that there is another solution.

I read some threads on the utorrent 100% disk overloaded error message. One comment said to check the i/o read and writes in task manager to see if utorrent has very high usage. When I did this there was a Windows Media Player network sharing process running that had massive io usage. I killed the process and now I'm transferring files no problems.

Any ideas on why this process behaves in such a way and why it is preventing my from shifting files? Also, how can I permanatnly prevent this process from running as it starts up again as soon as I kill the process. As well as high i/o usage, preventing me writing to my external drive it also is using 60mb of precious system resources.

Cheers

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD