Frequent Visitor
tristrella

Can't Access WD Elements 1TB External Hard Disk

Hi,

Few days before the problem persist, I got some error that says "...an I/O error."

I restarted my computer and I can't access my WD Elements 1TB External Hard  Disk. I'm using Windows 7, and when I go to "My Computer" the drive is in there but doesn't display the WD Logo and the Bar that represents the disk space, it only shows drive J: and when I try to click, the circular mouse cursor just kept on spinning (never stops until I get Windows Exploer has Stopped Working message). I have tons of files inside my external hard disk, so for those who experienced this and got it solved, I would really appreciate if you post what you did.

The light on my external hard disk kept on blinking by the way.

I also checked Device Manager and the Drive is in there. I also checked on compmgmt.msc and the device is in there but says something like RAW.

I tried the hard disk on Windows Vista and still the same.

Thanks. I would really appreciate your answer.

Esteemed Contributor
Awopero

Re: Can't Access WD Elements 1TB External Hard Disk

Open the cmd prompt

I haven't had this happen with Win 7 so I'm not sure about that one

older version of windows select RUN from start menu and type cmd

from there type "chkdsk X: /f" no quotes and replace X with whatever drive it is.

It should perform a scan and once complete should work just like new!

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Frequent Visitor
tristrella

Hi,

Ok I did the checkdisk ( CHKDSK J: /f ), it to me almost 24 hours to complete.

Now I can access my External Hard Disk, however it loads very slow, like when I open a folder, it will take time to open and my mouse cursor kept on spinning (loading).

I don't know the problem, I'm trying to copy a folder to tasnfer to my other hard disk and estimated time is 3+ hours.

This is so terrible.

Please help!

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Go to WD and find DLG in software and run it and see what that shows.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Frequent Visitor
tristrella

I just did, however the drive shown on physical drive is the one built-in with my pc.

the external drive is shown below logical drives.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD