Occasional Visitor
bill1980

Broken USB - WD 1TB external hard drive - expert help needed

Hi, im really hoping someone can help me out with this.

The USB snapped off the circuit board on my external hard drive and I cant seem to get a replacement anywhere.

Its the part labelled OASiS DESKTOP 1607P REV A 4060-705078-00.  It would be a straight forward swap over.

I know everyones pictures are important but wont bore you with a sob story but im praying that we havnt lost the data for good.  I should have backed up the back up..

I have found one on amazon us but they wont ship to the UK.http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-Desktop-External-1607P-4060-705078-001/dp/B0055O8KXK

Also tried the suppliers that WD list and who they suggested  I contact.  I was told that they only deal with trade so im stuck now:smileysad:

thanks a million

Esteemed Contributor
Awopero

Re: Broken USB - WD 1TB external hard drive - expert help needed

OK, depending of the drive model this could work or not. If the drive has Smartware then..... Is not going to work, because the drive is encrypted. 

NOW: If the drive does not have Smartware IT could work, that's not 100% sure. You could contact fzabkar he's like the Macgyver  of the circuit boards.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Honored Contributor
Joe_S

[ Edited ]

If it's a drive with Smartware the data is hardware encoded by the board where the port broke off. There are 2 things to try one is get an electronics repair place to try and solder on a new port. The other is to try and find a matching board. The expert on those boards is fzabkar. For another board you'd need another drive or find the right board on Ebay. Opening the case voids the warranty.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
bill1980

Thanksfor taking the time to reply

Its the 

Western Digital Elements 1TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-External/dp/B002E7HEVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

I have had a look inside it and its just a straight forward swap part for part but just cant find it anywhere in the UK.  I have tried through WD and they say to contact the UK suplliers but they only deal with business customers.  No luck on ebay either.

The part is a Oasis desktop 1607P REV A 4060-705078-001

Thanks again

Bill

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD