Occasional Visitor
Jack1TB

1TB external HD is not recognized by the computer

I have a 1TB external WD HD.  It has been working fine for months..but now...

(1) When I pull out the usb cord, the computer makes a beep. Same if I plug it in.

(2) When I go into MyComputer and list drives, the external hard drive is not found.

(3) I have another 1TB WD HD and it works fine on the computer.

(4) The 1TB not working will not work on any other computer.

(5) I had swapped out usb cord and power cord with the good drive and is still not working

(6) The power light blinks or remains steadily on.

I cannot return this to the store (Target)...WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS HD???

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Re: 1TB external HD is not recognized by the computer

Hi there, did you check if the drive is on disk management (Right-click computer/my computer> Manage> Disk Management)?

Also, do you hear the drive spin? If you do then the problem may just be the case and the HHD inside may work fine if used on another case.

You are reading a ghost long gone.
Occasional Visitor
lcaruso

It seems there are a big fabrication problem or project error. The USB connector attached to this series of drives get loose with time, and that's the end! To solve this, only changing that connector, this implies in send the drive to maintenance.

Isn't it?

Many people are finding or seeking problems in the SO or a specific PC or in the cable. The problem is in the drive!

How WD will solve it?

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Hi there, did you check if the drive is on disk management (Right-click computer/my computer> Manage> Disk Management)?

Also, do you hear the drive spin? If you do then the problem may just be the case and the HHD inside may work fine if used on another case.

Occasional Visitor
racidon

I have same one. It will be your hard drive which is very well stuffed now. With my experience of Western Digital I doubt I wil EVER buy or ACCEPT AS A GIFT another one of ANY of their products. This is the 2nd drive in 6 months that has done this to me. Both of which have had important coding projects I have been working my **bleep** off on and college work which I now AGAIN have to do again.

WesternDigital wont even supply a sufficient diagnostics tool that will tell you what's wrong with their drives -.-

really fed up with this company.

To add to all this most of the time to fix this issue all we need is to re-install the firmware and the drive will work no problem but sadly WD will NOT allow a download of the firmware that is ALREADY on the drives we all posess nor will they update the crap

Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

And that's the reason most of us in here on the Community would tell you you need a backup and never to trust your files to a single device....

If your data is so important, then you should have a backup.

You are reading a ghost long gone.
Occasional Visitor
Bonkers

I have the same problem with my external and another one with an internal drive and WD support is useless. One guy I talked to on phone didn't know what he was talking about and when I asked to talk to his supervisor he put me on hold and never came back. Also the internal drive I tried downloading their iso bootable diagnostics software and it don't even work. Sad state of affairs they have lost me as a custermer too.

Occasional Visitor
jack2153

[ Edited ]

I have a 1TB external WD HD.  It has been working fine for months..but now...

(1) When I pull out the usb cord, the computer makes a beep. Same if I plug it in.

(2) When I go into MyComputer and list drives, the external hard drive is not found.

(3) I have another 1TB WD HD and it works fine on the computer.

(4) The 1TB not working will not work on any other computer.

(5) I had swapped out usb cord and power cord with the good drive and is still not working

(6) The power light blinks or remains steadily on.

(7) Disk management does not fix the problem.

(8) The box is sealed and no one can get into it and examine it. Who designed this?

(9) I KNOW that the data is still on the drive..HOW can I recover this information?

I cannot return this to the store (Target)...WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS HD???

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Jack does the drive show in Disk Management if so what does it say? If the drive shows in Disk Management it may be corrupt Test Disk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk might repair partition structure. What OS are you using?  If you open the drive you void the warranty. If it's a drive with Smartware the data will be encrypted whether you installed it or not.You just learned never to trust important data to just one drive no matter who makes it.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
devoWD

Me too.

1 TB external drive (WD Elements) worked fine for a year, but suddenly today is not recognised by my IMAC or Macbook.

I can hear the drive spinning, and the blue light is on, but the computers do not recognise that they are connected to an external hard drive.

Occasional Visitor
jack2153

I still do not have an answer as to how I can get my Western Digital 1TB external harddrive to work again. Light lights up; there is a spining sound, but the computer doesn't see a drive connections.  ALL of the usb cables and power cables have been replaced during the test BUT there wasn't any change. WHAT DO I DO TO GET THIS DRIVE WORKING AGAIN??? There must be a way to handle defective products.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD