Too much information gatering

I purchased an external drive and set out to register the product and found the demand for more and more personal information intrusive and irrating.

You do not need so much informatin just to register a purchase.  I will think twice before purchasing a product from WD in the future.

That is a shame as you do have a good product!!

When I registered my drives it only asked for my purchase info for the start of the warranty (From purchase date) and shipping / contact info in case of an RMA. If you find that to be unreasonable then why do you even bother to register?  

1 Like

I also registered my drive on the WD website, I dont think they ask intrusive and irrating info

Maybe outside the US the laws are different, but here there is no REQUIREMENT to “register” a product.   Product registration is ALL about gathering demographic data and contact information.   There’s no requirement to register for warranty entitlement.   In fact, requiring registration for warranty is illegal here.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

There’s no requirement to register for warranty entitlement.   In fact, requiring registration for warranty is illegal here.

True, but unless you register the product and can show proof of purchase, they have no choice but to start the warranty at the date of manufacture… if you’re buying old stock, registering it with WD ensures you get the full warranty you’re entitled to… otherwise WD would have no clue what day you bought the product.  You could have bought it a week after it was manufactured, or you could have bought it 2 years after… how would they know?

1 Like