RMA Service not what it use to be

I always recommended WD to friends and colleagues alike, praising their reliability and advanced RMA service should the unlikely happen and a drive fail. Well after this week I won’t be doing that anymore.

Logged an Advanced RMA three days ago. Heard nothing for the first two days, so logged another case to find out what was happening to my replacement drive. I then received an email today saying they had no WD Reds in stock and instead offered a WD green? I pointed out why I had purchased RED, and why I was not happy with a cheaper variant to be then told I should in fact go back to the reseller as I would not even receive a new drive but a refurbished unit?

Having told them to cancel the RMA, I have just received another call telling me actually a refurbished Red has been dispatched and that I should just refuse the delivery as the RMA has now been cancelled.

Although looking at the other comments on this board it looks like I am not the first to be let down by this service.

What a shame.

1 Like

I can understand being frustrated that some days went by before you got a response.  We will definitely look into that, even though it may have been just because we didn’t have that product available.  However, you need to understand that it is industry standard to replace a failed unit with a recertified unit.  Nobody replaces failed units with brand new product as a best practice.  If you read our warranty page, you would know that going into the RMA. 

We did escalate your post just to make sure that you do get any help you may want.  I’m sorry that your experience was below your expectation.

1 Like

Going through the same thing with a 2TB My Passport drive that was DOA

I understand the issues with stock for the RMA requests, but there should be a more continuous flow of information.  Or instead of saying we will get back to you in one business day, give a more realistic time line.

I can even understand times of high volume - and would be ok with an automated “We are still paying attention” email.