Community Manager
Bill_S

Re: I need the truth

You think your SE is old.  I have a 40 GB WD Protogé that I'm still using in one of my older computers.  That computer is running a P3 650.   That Protoge has been out of warranty since 2003.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Occasional Advisor
supix

Wow Bill, thats awesome.

Community Manager
Bill_S

Thanks.  Fortunately, that computer has now been consigned to light duty work only.  So, maybe I'll get some more years out of it.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Occasional Advisor
supix

I have two more questions:

What is the model number suffix and how do I interpret it?

Are newer revisions better than older ones?

Example of hardware changes:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131094

Honored Contributor
RoofingGuy

supix wrote:

What is the model number suffix and how do I interpret it?

WD isn't likely to say...

"Model Number Suffix

The Model Number Suffix (characters to the right of the dash following the model number) is only for in-house use."

according to the available literature.

You apparently need to be a WD employee, with access to the local WD intranet, in order to access the documentation that decodes the suffixes.  I'd doubt they'd publish the information here, if they don't want to make it available anywhere else.

Trusted Contributor
Ardvark

The Suffix stuff in model numbers (generally speaking) are used by companies for internal tracking. So (my best guess is) it might tell you things like what batch it came out of, what store it was made for, if it was made to go in an external or sold as a retail drive, stuff like that- nothing we would generally care about. It's the first part of the model numbers that tell you the size of the drive, what family its in, etc. that is important.

- The Ardvark

Occasional Visitor
Thanachelvan

I need the truth

hi guys,

i have an interview coming up for SPW Fa engineering position.  Can anyone help me? i need to know what i need to know here. i tried finding out about SPW i think i understand in general what it means and what the technology is all about. what else do i need to know?

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Thanachelvan wrote:

hi guys,

i have an interview coming up for SPW Fa engineering position.  Can anyone help me?

Sure.  Go find somewhere where people know what you're talking about. :smileyvery-happy:

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD