I need the truth

Caviar Blue = Caviar SE16?

Why should I buy Blue instead of SE16?

My sata drive (caviar 1600aabs) makes a lot of noise. I dont like it anymore (its an old model).

:slight_smile:

supix wrote:
Why should I buy Blue instead of SE16?Because SE16s haven’t been sold in YEARS.

1 Like

Some drives have the same model number :S

P.S I still see SE16 drives in stores.

You see a lot of discontinued stock in stores.

Joe

1 Like

The Caviar Blue line has all of WD’s old drives stockpiled on their website, but labeled as “Caviar SE” you won’t find a “new” drive when considering the production date/batch, so it’s a very old drive not yet sold.

I have a “caviar” drive manufactured in 2008. Weird.

This my theory:

fake products are being made in China and some people sell them like if were authentic.

supix wrote:

I have a “caviar” drive manufactured in 2008. Weird.

This my theory:

fake products are being made in China and some people sell them like if were authentic.

• *Caviar has been around for ages, and caviar is still a valid product line. It’s the Caviar SE16 that we’re talking about.

1600aabs (my current drive)

http://kplace.plala.jp/images/25hdd004.pdf

It came before (2001 model?) Caviar SE. Im confused because WD renames old drives (the product registration site says its a caviar blue).

The Caviar SE16 is the old Caviar Blue line that has  a buffer of 16 MB. If I remember correctly, the Caviar Blue drives used to have 8 MB of buffer, this was before the 1 TB model, and they used to be SATA I drives.

Again: WD has all Caviar Blue, Caviar SE and Caviar SE 16 STOCKPILED on their website as a single drive category, this is just for grouping drives and that doesn’t mean that the SE and the SE 16 are Caviar Blue.

You think your SE is old.  I have a 40 GB WD Protogé that I’m still using in one of my older computers.  That computer is running a P3 650.   That Protoge has been out of warranty since 2003.

Wow Bill, thats awesome.

Thanks.  Fortunately, that computer has now been consigned to light duty work only.  So, maybe I’ll get some more years out of it.

I have two more questions:

What is the model number suffix and how do I interpret it?

Are newer revisions better than older ones?

Example of hardware changes:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131094

supix wrote:

What is the model number suffix and how do I interpret it?

WD isn’t likely to say…

"Model Number Suffix

The Model Number Suffix (characters to the right of the dash following the model number) is only for in-house use."

according to the available literature.

You apparently need to be a WD employee, with access to the local WD intranet, in order to access the documentation that decodes the suffixes.  I’d doubt they’d publish the information here, if they don’t want to make it available anywhere else.

The Suffix stuff in model numbers (generally speaking) are used by companies for internal tracking. So (my best guess is) it might tell you things like what batch it came out of, what store it was made for, if it was made to go in an external or sold as a retail drive, stuff like that- nothing we would generally care about. It’s the first part of the model numbers that tell you the size of the drive, what family its in, etc. that is important.

hi guys,

i have an interview coming up for SPW Fa engineering position.  Can anyone help me? i need to know what i need to know here. i tried finding out about SPW i think i understand in general what it means and what the technology is all about. what else do i need to know?

Thanachelvan wrote:

hi guys,

i have an interview coming up for SPW Fa engineering position.  Can anyone help me?

Sure.  Go find somewhere where people know what you’re talking about. :smileyvery-happy: