Fix bugs in firmware before adding any new features

How about instead of adding new features make sure that current features work and are bug free instead of making us all beta testers for poor quality firmware?

Same goes for taking features out because you broke them and then adding new feaures in.  JUst get em all fixed!

I just want them to fix the stuttering movies.  I’ve had it since November and I kept biting my tounge, telling myself they would fix it, and they still have not.  I’ve hooked it up both wireless and wired and it still does it.  I have a new router that is not the best out there you can get, but it was still over 100 bucks recently, so I know it can handle streaming a movie.

When I called their tech support to get it hooked up to stream wireless from a folder it was horrid, I ended up messing with it for a few hours and just got it myself.

I’ve always stuck by them, but if they don’t fix it soon, I think I’m going to be done with them and stop pushing them on my friends too. 

I don’t like this idea, because it will essentially shut down firmware improvements.  Some bugs will never be fixed - I’ve never seen a product that had zero bugs.  Do we really want to punish users for this by additionally denying users other features that would be valuable?  For example, do we really want to deny ourselves gapless playback of music files as some kind of protest if WD is unwilling or unable to fix all existing bugs?  And whose definition of a “bug” would be used for this protest? 

I understand the frustration in poor quality firmware - it seems in many cases the developers of the firmware don’t use their own products.  But punishing users seems like a poor response.

Seems I hit a nerve with the moderators team on here and they felt it neccesery to move this idea to the off topic section.

They must not want people to ask for real bugs to be fixed.

I know this reply will not go down well and may be deleted in the future but really it was a popular idea judging on votes for it, and lets face it a real problem that many many users have.

Is fixing bugs so hard before adding new features in? Really?

I think this post was moved to the Off-topic discussions, because you are not talking about any specific hard drive or media player, you are just making a comment that can be applied to anything that supports firmware updates.

1 Like

That’s exactly why it was moved here.  Feel free to continue with your discussion.