Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Cleaning External Drive

I just cleaned my desktop and begin wondering about cleaning an enternal HD. You can't open case to see anything or the warranty is void. I wonder what is best just a can off air and not use the tube and blow out what is loose of a vaccum cleaner? 

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Honored Contributor
ThePizzaMatrix

Re: Cleaning External Drive

Very nice question indeed!!!

I mean, I can keep the drive healthy, but to clean it I use a paint brush and dust off the port and air vents over my drives :smileytongue:

You are reading a ghost long gone.
Honored Contributor
Joe_S

I wasn't to keen on the aircan since you can't see and the circuit board is delicate. With the tower opened up you can see where you are blasting. I don't recall seeing anything about cleaning external drives anywhere. I know dust build up can really cause heat to build up.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Trusted Contributor
Chiara

It is true that the most of the external drives cannot be opened

- you will void the warranty opening the case and unmounting the drive -

but in some cases you can open the case without voiding the warranty

http://wdc-it.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1464

http://wdc-it.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1709

Assicurati di cliccare sul pulsante "Accetta soluzione" sui messaggi che risolvono i tuoi problemi. Clicca sul distintivo kudos nel messaggio per ringraziare di una risposta utile. In tal modo potrai aiutare altri utenti a trovare rapidamente una soluzione.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD