The options to disable the convert, wdmcserver, wdphotodbmerger processes in the My Cloud Dashboard

by ‎04-02-2014 09:47 PM - edited ‎05-08-2014 10:53 PM

The process named "convert" in WD My Cloud EX4 causes severe performance and availability problems as well as unnecessary wear of hard drives. After putting many files into the EX4 unit, the convert process begins to consume CPU 100% and cause many unnecessary I/O activities on the hard drives until the owner reboots the unit.

(Update: Firmware 1.02.36 cut CPU consumption down to 40%.)

These severe symptoms have been experienced by many in the community:
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-EX4/Why-is-Convert-Process-Maxing-My-CPU/td-p/667863
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Content-scan-never-finishes/td-p/643989

Like many others, I expect EX4 to be a 24x7 reliable storage system with good consistent performance. I do not need media streaming and cloud capabilities. I do not want to waste system resources to have my files analyzed to be classified whether they are videos or photos. I'd be more than happy if EX4 reported 100% of my files classified as "Other" without looking at any of them.

Jumpman has made a good point on wdmcserver and thumbnail generation. If you agree, please also vote at http://community.wd.com/t5/Personal-Cloud-Ideas/Please-don-t-create-WDMC-TWONKY-folders/idi-p/693840

I would like WD to provide the owners of My Cloud EX4/EX2 with the Dashboard options to disable the "convert," "wdmcserver," "wdphotodbmerger," and other processes that generate metadata, thumbnails, and hidden folders so that they will never run again on a future firmware update.

Comments
by on ‎04-03-2014 09:03 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎04-09-2014 08:19 AM

It's more important they tell us what the actual reason for the convert process running at 100% is.  Also the stupid wdmcserver process causes me this same issue.  Someone mentioned it might have something to do with thumbnail generation.  If so, give us the ability to turn off the thumbnails or whatever is the actual cause. 

I would vote but I don't see a vote option.

by on ‎04-11-2014 12:39 AM
To vote click on the Up arrow icon at the left of the beginning of any post - it's basically giving a kudos to the post - but it counts as a vote.
by ‎04-13-2014 04:41 AM - edited ‎04-13-2014 04:42 AM

Voted. PLEASE fix this!

by on ‎04-22-2014 01:48 PM

Hey guys try updating your firmware, mine seemed to resolve the CPU issue cause by those processes.

by on ‎04-25-2014 12:20 AM

Upgrading to latest firmware doesn't solved problem – I had disabled all processes that could benefit from rebuilt thumbnails like iTunes, Twonky, Cloud (only thing I user is RAID 1 with access via CIFS) and despite of disabling almost all features of My Cloud, covert is still building thumbnails (a bit waste of CPU cycles and HDD storage, since I will not use them anyway).

I noticed that when I created encrypted volume without ‘auto-mount’ then (after manually mounting volume) convert process was not working, but since performance of encrypted is questionable I recreated volume as unencrypted, and now convert is killing CPU.

by on ‎04-25-2014 12:42 AM

Forgot to mention. Also valid for EX2

by on ‎04-25-2014 04:50 AM

I agree -- if all the services that use the converted "product" are disabled, the conversion processes should not be run at all.

by on ‎04-29-2014 09:28 AM

Yes, PLZ!!

by Staff on ‎05-01-2014 04:58 PM

This isn't really a feature request...

This issue is resolved in our latest code line.  Please update to 1.02.36 

http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmycloud_ex4

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD