Sharespace: Please provide a tool to recover files from a broken Sharespace RAID-5

by on ‎01-14-2011 03:15 AM

Dear Sharespace-team,

after reading through this forum, it seems as if the Sharespace RAID-5 is really touchy and not very reliable. So I would like you to create a thorough help page on data recovery from crashed RAID-5 array.

I assume there must be a software tool that can be used to recover the data of a crashed sharespace raid-5 array, right?

Many users have access to a "regular" PC and could hook up the 4 drives to it, boot it from a DVD and operate a data recovery tool.

So please provide the software tools (may be the image of a self-bootable DVD with linux and the preconfigured software tool) as well as detailed instructions.

This would enable your users to help themselves so they don't have to contact your support which - in return - would lower your support cost. So providing this software and information would be a win-win.

Thank you

Sincerely

Matt

Comments
by on ‎01-18-2011 04:06 AM

That would be great, but also something to reload the OS onto the enclosure, my problem is I cant get to the NAS, cause my OS went corrupt, and the only way (according to WD) to reload that OS is to format ALL drives in the enclosure..

So another way to reload the OS would be awesome, then you would be able to login, and perform some functions on the drives..

Would be nice to see a post here from a WD rep, just to see that there is some interest atleast from the company...

by on ‎01-29-2011 12:30 AM

This would be a fantastic Idea, I could take out the drives, put then in a USB enclosure and run this on my mac and be able to fix any issues.

Also a Firmware DOWNGRADE setting  whilst were doing it would be nice, having installed the latests screwed mine up..

by on ‎02-04-2011 02:56 AM

Please. I agree with matt:

after reading through this forum, it seems as if the Sharespace RAID-5 is really touchy and not very reliable. So I would like you to create a thorough help page on data recovery from crashed RAID-5 array.

Thanks

by on ‎03-23-2011 08:50 AM

Western Digital please make a recovery software for raid5, specifically software that can be uploaded to the WD Sharespace and execute like extundelete or ext3grep. This way users don't have to transplant their disk array into a PC.

The self-bootable DVD with linux and the preconfigured software tool is a great idea.

Please help your end users Western Digital,

Thanks

by on ‎07-23-2011 01:21 PM

This would be very useful to all of us who lost their data on a WD ShareSpace

by on ‎09-26-2011 03:06 PM

From the looks of the date on this topic, WD hasn't lifted a finger yer to release any useful "WD Sharespace Recovery" disc yet.

Bloody sad, they need to get off their backsides and release something for this ASAP.

They MUST have something their Techs use to prepare hard drives to be used on the Sharespace before being sent out. I can't see why they couldn't put that program on the site for download.

by ‎09-28-2011 05:48 PM - edited ‎09-28-2011 07:20 PM

come on WD, can you make actions on this request please? i've failed 2 times with this sharespace 4tb! The last time which was August 2010, i've failed to recover our company's files that are stored before, and now i've given this sharespace another chance but it failed me again! All of our stored files are gone again..

At least make a recovery software if the raid 5 fails. All i can say now without this Recovery software that we are requesting is that, this sharespace is very inconvenient and unsafe to use.. Please make up!

by on ‎10-06-2011 08:14 AM
Status changed to: New

by Staff on ‎02-17-2012 05:36 PM
Status changed to: Unplanned

Announcements
Please click on News and Announcements for the latest announcements.

For a list of our Idea Exchanges, please click here.

Idea Statuses explained here.
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD