What the LED indicators indicate on a WD Passport Wireless

Important:For the latest version of the User Manual for the WD My Passport Wireless, please see the My Passport Wireless Installation Support Page.

The WD My Passport Wireless has two LED indicators to assist the user in knowing the status of the device at any given moment. The two LEDs are as follow:

Power and Battery Status LED

The drive is pre-charged at the factory. However, the battery level may be lower when you take it out of the box as it may have been in transit or on the shelf for a significant length of time.

The Power LED will change color and behavior based on the following:

• Blue : Indicates that the battery is at 90% power or above.
  • Green : Indicates that the battery is between 50-89% power.
  • Orange : Indicates that the battery is between 20-49% power.
  • Red : Indicates that the battery is between 8-19% power.
  • Blinking White : Boot-up or USB mode activity. Also indicates SD card transfer activity.
  • Pulsing White : USB mode standby.

Note:The Power LED will pulse in the color of the correlating charge state when the device is charging. For instance, the device will pulse orange when charging and the battery is between 20 and 49% power.

Wi-Fi LED

The Wi-Fi LED is off when the WD My Passport Wireless drive is taken out of the box. The Wi-Fi LED can indicate the following:

• Off : Wi-Fi not active.
  • Solid Blue : Wireless network connected or active (all modes).
  • Solid Orange : Wireless network connected to access point (AP) but no internet connection (shared connection mode).
  • Solid Red : Wireless network failed or no network connection (all modes).
  • Blinks blue for a set period (1 minute): WPS initiated and in progress.
  • Blinks white : Device in use. It’s being reset or going through a firmware update.

Other LED Behavior

The Power and Battery Status LED and the Wi-Fi LED will also work together to identify different things as listed below:

• Drive has a problem : If the drive has a problem, the Power and Battery Status LED and the WI-Fi LED will blink red alternating between one and the other.
  • Device in recovery mode : Blinking red in one long (3 sec) and 3 short blinks.
  • Device shutting down : Wi-Fi LED off and Power and Battery Status LED blinking white.
2 Likes