SMB share with My Passport Wireless?

Solved!

For Cifs Manager on Android:

Share path:          192.168.60.1/Public

Mount point:         storage/sdcard0/cifs/passp       … this must be a directory, they you created on your internal storage

User name:         admin  … default name from WD, i thing it si constant and cannot be changed

Passwort:                           …  this was the  right solution !!! LEAVE IT BLANK !!!

Options:                             …  no options, leave this field blank too

Than save, click on this share and voila! You can access the files on the My Passport Wireless from any applikation under the Share path.

!!! Sorry for many users - but, the companies, they produce the Android devices do not alow the users to use the pretty Samba sharing features! This companies do not compile the needed kernel files into the standard firmware of tablets! I can think only, that in this way may the users to oblige pay for more expensive models with more internal memory. In this way do not have many tablets the support for SDXC card, althrough the hardware and software are able to support those cards.

They are 2 ways to solve this problem - SEARCH AND BUY TABLETS WHICH HAVE THE SMB DRIVERS !!! They must not always be enabled at production, but the needed files may be compiled in the kernel (like cfs.ko and so far)!

Second way is to root your tablet, find (a hard way) and copy the needed kernel files and activate those! Like me.

For Windows 7

(PLEASE - i have a german Win7, the i translate free the german menue points into english. May be not 100% precise, so sorry for this).

Click on start menue, then computer, then on Mount network drive in the menue.

In the box fill this out:

Drive:  …    give here a free drive letter, they looks nice for you

Directory:   \Mypassport\Public

… and click active box “Connection open at start”.

Then OK or similar buttotn. And voila! We have a new drive letter in our comp!

I have activated a second network drive, with the path “\Mypassport\sd”  … this is the SD card location.

Little discusion:

!!! To make working this share on computer connected to a network router, may be good first connect to MyPassport via his IP address with a tablet (192.168.60.1).

In the setup page go to Wi-Fi, then Wi-Fi Networks - this option make please on.

You see the networks in the near so click on your own network.

Activate Share content on this network.

Then in the adwanced settings activate Static address, here give you the address not in the DHCP range of this router and not used from other device!

Gateway and first DNS server is the best to give here the IP address of this router.

Then ok.

For example i give the MyPassport the IP address 10.0.0.80 in my privat network. So i can this drive mount either as:

\10.0.0.80\Public

\10.0.0.80\sd

or even

\Mypassport\Public

\Mypassport\sd

I thing, a fixed IP address in private nettwork is the better way to attach network drive, for mobile Android device may be the easier way to connect this drive via DHCP, so is the best way to leave

Your MyPassposrt HDD become a static address in the network and you cann mount it on 2 ways

Then is the best way to enable the DHCP option and then disable the Wi-Fi network option on the setup page of MyPassport. Also, clasical default way.

Best regards,

Feri