Pubic Hotspot with "Terms of service" page

Okay, now I see it. I had my network set to  “Share content on this network”, and when you do that the “Clone MAC Address” button is hidden. Unticking that option gave me access to the Clone MAC Address feature.

The wording of that popup help could be better, but it looks like the MPW is supposed to act like a router, allowing the MPW to present the MAC Address of a connected computer to the network it is connected to (the hotspot), rather than its own MAC Address.

I tested this feature on my MPW using the following connections:

iPhone 4 => MPW => My Router <= PC

I used my PC to access my router’s administrtion page and recorded my iPhone and the MPW MAC Addresses.

I used my iPhone to do the tasks you would have been doing on your Macbook.

I connected my iPhone directly to the MPW, then used Safari on the iPhone to access the MPW Dashboard, turn off the “Share content on this network” and turn on the Clone MAC Address feature. The MPW said it was updating the network connection.

I checked my router’s administration page, refreshed the connected devices page, and observed that there was no change to the MAC Address that the MPW was supplying to the router.

So I can only agree with you, that the Clone MAC Address function is broken. It doesn’t change the MAC Address supplied to the upstream network as it should.

Given that the Clone MAC Address function is broken in this firmware, it is reasonable to assume that something else is broken, or chaged, which is preventing you from gettng to the TOS page.

I think you should raise a ticket with WD Support, using the function in the MPW Dashboard so you can send all details. They may be able to help you get this working with the current firmware, but at the least they should test the Clone MAC Address feature, confirm it is broken, and fix it in the next firmware.

In the mean time, downgrading the firmware seems the only option. I thought I had kept a copy of the previous firmware, but it appears that I haven’t. Perhaps someone else has a copy they can share.

1 Like