Is anyone using PlayerXtreme Media Player?

I needed to find a movie/video player for someone who doesn’t have an MPW, and wanted to copy some old movies to his iPad for playing later. I found some information about Player Xtreme so decided to give it a try.

It seemed so good I have installed it myself, on an iPhone 4, and older iPad, and an iPad Air. Its main claim to fame is that it will play almost any video format, without conversion. Not DRM as far as I know, but I don’t have any of them to test with.

I specifically needed it to play FLV and MKV files, which it does fine. I also needed to be sure it played AC-3 and DTS 5.1 audio, and it does. I know playing MKV and AC-3 have been an issue for some MPW users.

The Pro version also adds DLNA renderer functionality, and can connect to network shares.

Better still, after I had played around with the free version for a while, transfering a couple of movies to a my iPhone 4 and playing bits of them, I got a pop-up message saying that “for a limited time” if I wrote a review I would get a free upgrade to the Pro version. So I hit the button to go to the iTune App store, looked at the existing reviews for a couple of minutes, closed the App store, and went back to Player Xtreme, only to receive a message, “Did you write a review?” I said “Yes” of course, and received a free upgrade to the Pro version. Sweet!

So if you are looking for another player, wich looks to be pretty good, and you want connection to network shares and DLNA servers, download Player Xtreme now and “trick” them into giving you the full version for free!

Note 1: I have absolutely no affiliation with the developer or software.

Note 2: I will probably write a review after I have actually tested it for a while, rather than minutes after installing it.

Note 3: It still didn’t play high bit rate movies well on my old iPhone 4, as the iPhone just doesn’t have the power to play those files. It does play lower bitrate FLV files very well though, for example.

I have not had the experience you describe with P/E, and I have had the Pro version  on my iPad a few months’ I prefer Infuse for qualitiy of program, and nice GUI.

I didn’t know you had tried Player Xtreme Mike. I looked through all your recommendations, and looked at Infuse, but I was looking for a free App for someone else to use, and when PX offered the Pro version for free, I didn’t look at others any further. I was in a bit of a hurry to install a working App.

It does look like earlier versions of PX were a bit clunky. They have a new interface in version 5.x, and the latest version 5.5 looks and works pretty well. The only issue I saw at all was when it tried to connect to a share with the wrong password it dropped into the background without warning or message, then I couldn’t edit or delete the connection to fix the password. I had to create another record for the share. Oh, and it did struggle with very high bitrate MP4 videos So it does have a little way to go.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well, I never use it after the initial trials, but the new version came into today and I tried it after your post.  It was very sluggish/slow to load anything from my NAS and shared drives, etc.  I did try to play an mkv on iPad and got video but no sound. MP4s play ok.  I find it tough to see the GUI with such tiny fonts, etc.

I use the free version of Infuse since I can grab any device on my network and play it rather quickly on iPad, although it cannot play mkv files as is.  I use it for mp4 on the iPad so it is fine for me. I seem to use my Kindle more often to play videos since it is stereo sound. For that I use Avia. app.

Thanks for the info on getting video files playing on iPhone. It was frustrating to find out I couldn’t play MOD video files on my iPhone 5 from My Cloud. I too downloaded Player Extreme.

I can access my Public Folder but I get a message trying to access the folder I created for all my videos… Any idea why? Is it security and what would I need to do ?

Hi Roderick,

Have you written a review on the app by any chance? If so, send me the link to it please. Thanks mate.

Sorry, I never did write a review. I’m unlikely to now, as I have moved on from the hardware I used with this App.

It was good though. I’m sure there are a bunch of reviews out there somewhere.