Is My Passport Wireless accessible via internet?

Hello,

I’ve connected my new My Passport Wireless to my home wifi router and can access it from my computer on same wifi network. Is this disk compatible with the wdmycloud.com service to access it from the outside like the WD My Cloud EX solutions ?

Thanks.

kasimodem wrote:

Is this disk compatible with the wdmycloud.com service to access it from the outside like the WD My Cloud EX solutions?

No, it’s not.   

The same apps are used, but they will NOT work remotely, and they’re not registered into the wdmycloud.com external service.

Thanks a lot, maybe it will be available in future updates :wink:

kasimodem wrote:

Thanks a lot, maybe it will be available in future updates :wink:

I hope not, actually – it would be a useless feature for most people…

The drive is intended to be MOBILE.   You take it with you instead of accessing it remotely.  ;)

If you want a Fixed drive that has those features, the less-expensive Cloud devices do that already.

I have found that I cannot reach the MPW via internet as well.  I thought it could be reached via an app for my router called AiCloud, because the app sees network shares, and sees MPW as a network share, but it also says the MPW is offline (when it isn’t).  The drives the app can access from the internet are also my shared drives:  a drive connected to , drives on my WDTVs and in my computer.  These can all be accessed. Funny that the MPW is not accessable – I wonder why?

I think it would be good if it could be accessed via internet.  Example. “He” is on a business trip and “She” is at home, and both can access the MPW based at home.

I have confirmed today that the MPW can be accessed via the internet under certain conditions.

I had said in my above reply that I thought it could/should, but since my AiCloud app showed it offline the other day, I could not connect to it.  That’s all changed, because either the router reboot of the other day and/or perhaps a newer firmware on the MPW, and now the MPW shows as online in the AiCloud app as my other devices do.  So, if the conditions are:

One has an Asus “upper tier” router (e.g. RT-N66U, or better) router, Have the AiCloud app installed on your mobile devices, and the router configured to set up its AiCloud feature)  and we are good to go   – I used an iPhone for today’s test.  We cannot be on our own home network for this test, of course, so I walked across the street where a Comcast “hotspot” called xfinitywifi (free for Comcast customers)  is broadcast in my neighborhood by a nearby neighbor’s router.  (You can google for “xfinitywifi” if you want more info on how this works).

I made sure I had decent bandwidth on the xfinitywifi signal by using speedtest.net.  It was close to 10mbps; good enough for streaming a basic mp4/m4v file, and in a moment or so a video I had made from one of my DVDs was streaming to my iPhone from the MPW in my house – through the internet!

I also checked this with my Android tablet, too – my Kindle, and it also worked as well.

There ya go – MPW on home network accessed via the internet!

Smart/Clever way to go, but not workable for us with no ASUS routers :frowning:

Hopfully other wendors will jump on this train as well.

Nothing smart or clever here.  If one wants to drive in the fast lane, one needs a car with horsepower.  Same goes for routers:  If one wants to access his router and home network devices from the internet, then one needs a router that can do so, along with a free app that enables it…  I presume Asus is not the only company that makes routers that can do this, as well as enable a HD and printer to be connected directly to the router.  The router I mentioned, the RT-N66U is a few years old now, and has become a best seller at Amazon, Newegg, etc.  They cost $130 today, but every once in a while I see them on sale for closer to $100.

If your router (or a computer on your LAN) has a VPN server, then you can VPN into your LAN externally, and connect to the WD MPW.

Alternatively, you could activate FTP on the WD MPW a, port forward TCP 21 from the router to the local IP address of yor WD MPW and then use another app like FileBrowser to see the files by configuring an FTP server. You’d need to use dyndns or similar if the WAN IPAD address of your router changes.