If I reformat wireless drive to FAT32 will an iPad read the disk using MyCloud app

I have purchased a 2TB wireless drive. However my smart TV will only read NTFS or FAT32 usb formatted drive.

If I reformat drive to FAT32 (so MAC, PC and TV can read) will the MY Cloud app for iOS divices and automatic camera card reading still work?

Yes, the My Cloud App will be able to read a FAT32 formated drive, and the SD Card Reader will still work. Page 58 of the User Manual.

Files accessed via wireless on an iOS device from the MPW are effectively served up by the small UNIX system on the MPW, so iOS doesn’t care what the disk format is, and neither will the My Cloud App.

Similarly, an SD card formated as required for its size, which may be exFAT for larger SDXC cards, can be read from the card format, and written as FAT32 onto the disk.

However, as far as I know ordinary FAT32 is still limited to a file size of 4GB. That is, no file can be larger than 4GB. That means if you have full size movie files that you wish to put onto the MPW, and they are over 4GB in in size, you will not be able to save them to the MPW formated as a FAT32 partition. DVD movies ripped to ISO or MKV files could easily be larger than 4GB. Blu-rays will be larger. The exFAT format doesn’t have those restrictions.

There seems to be a lot of inconsistent information about what USB hard drive formats Smart TVs will support. There are always firmware updates being applied to Smart TVs as well, so even user manuals may be out of date on what formats are supported. So I would advise that you check with your Smart TV manufacturer which USB drive formats are supported _ for their latest firmware on your model Smart TV _, and make sure you have the latest firmware on your Smart TV.

FAT32 is more universal if you are going to use the MPW on TVs other than your own, for example when you travel. But if you are just going to use it on your own TV, and it does or can support exFAT with an update, stick with exFAT.

Thanks Rod. It’s a LG TV which presently doesn’t support exFAT. Only FAT32or ntfs. It for my daughter who has no computer so as it’s mainly for photos and home video, all under 4gb

Basically the best device for her TV , iPad and iPhone. I hope it all goes well
Kind Regards