How would I replace Apple's iCloud with a local WD Passport wireless cloud?

I know that this is not Apple’s plan, and I know that there’s no easy way to do it.

However, is it possible to replace iCloud with a local cloud? I’d like to use my Apple Time Capsule or my WD My Passport wireless drive to store my iTunes, iPhoto and e-mail libraries, as well as to be the cloud that has my keyword chain, and other app syncing, like contacts & notes, for my Macs and IOS devices.

There are a number of reasons:

• I have several TB of storage

• It is much more secure as I can encrypt everything and have control of the physical storage devices

• It is more portable - I can take the cloud onto an aeroplane, or into the desert and it’ll still work, unlike iCloud that needs a wi-fi connection

I can see other people would have the same requirement. If you have a business with sensitive data, for example, you’d not want it stored remotely, you’d want full control of all the encryptions, backup, access control and so forth.

Any ideas? It’d be great if one could simply change DNS so that icloud.com points to your own device, but I know it’s nothing like as simple as that!

I do not know of a method to have iCloud redirect/store data automatically into a local device, but the Passport Wireless does allow for direct storage of your libraries.

The purpose with for example iCloud is to keep you safe with data and such in case of fire, burglary , HDD crash or just losing it.

To put all the files you are asking for in one portable drive is about the most unsafe you can do IMHO, probaly not so much for someone to get the data but for the previous reasons above.

If you are using TimeMachine for backup, a second HDD for a second backup and stored elsewhere is safer.

Anywhay to use a MPW as a safe data storage is not very economical or safe way.

I am keeping the drive backed up separately, so the data is safe.

iCloud is slow, so I’d far rather have a local cloud.

I’m having a lot of trouble with the direct storage. I’ll post a separate question

Just use another cloud service than Apple’s.  You might be able to connect the MPW drive to a Pogoplug cloud device.  I have one, but no desire to even try this since drives are already on my Pogoplug device.