Can't connect to My Cloud App

I’ve been happy with my MPW since I got it using it via my PC, Android phone and PS3 without issue.  The main reason I bought it however, is for portable external storage for my 16GB iPad 2. 

I just recently downloaded the My Cloud App and I can’t get the app to connect to the MPW. 

I’m running iOS version 8.3 on the iPad and my cloud app version is 4.1.3.

iPad connects with no problem to local network as well as the MPW in the settings.  Once I go to app to try and connect MPW to app to view files it will not recognize MPW.  It just keeps saying:

To add your My Passport Wireless drive:

1. Go to your mobile device’s Wi-Fi settings.
  2. Join the My Passport Wireless network.
  3. Return to the WD My Cloud app.

I have done all of that multiple times, along with deleting and redownloading app, forgetting then reconnecting to MPW network in WiFi settings and restarting both devices.

Anyone have any ideas?

So have you added the drive to the device list yet?

Click the “Manage Devices/Services” menu item and it should show there.

That’s where I’m getting caught up, the device isn’t showing in there.

On my Android phone, the MPW just showed up on there after I connected the phone the the MPW WiFi.  On the iPad it doesn’t show up automatically so I’m trying to “search for device” (or something similar, I don’t have it in front of me right at the moment) but that’s when I get the below prompt.

To add your My Passport Wireless drive:

1. Go to your mobile device’s Wi-Fi settings.
  2. Join the My Passport Wireless network.
  3. Return to the WD My Cloud app.

Have you updated the firmware on the MPW to the latest?

1 Like

Once you have updated the firmware, try opening a browser on your iPad and going to the address http://mypassport.local and if it connects, you should get the Dashboard in the browser window.

If that works, leave it open and switch to the My Cloud App and see if it works now.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas!

I have not updated firmware, al th ought I only got the drive about two months ago. Do you know what the latest version is? I guess I will try that next.

I can definitely get to the dashboard even now without updating firmware. That was the first thing I checked when it wouldn’t connect to the My Cloud app to make sure I was actually connected to the MPW WiFi.

Thanks again for the responses, I’ll try the firmware update tomorrow.

First post in this forum, version 1.04.06.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Passport-Wireless/New-Release-My-Passport-Wireless-Firmware-Version-1-04-06-6-10/td-p/879029

Thanks, and it says right in the post that it fixed the My Cloud app connection with iOS… Haha!

WI’ll give it a try.

Thanks again folks, updated firmware and it works like a charm!