Wake on LAN on My Net N900 router

I’d love to fully enable wake on LAN for my My Ned N900 router (NOT the kind with storage inside), to the point where I can WOL from a website with just an IP address and MAC address. I can already do this if I try within 20-30 minutes of the computer shutting down, but after that point the IP address is no longer assigned and my solution (forwarding port 9 to my static IP address) stops working.

How can I forward port 9 to *.*.*.255 so that I can enable WOL? Is there a more graceful solution?

If it’s necessary, I’m comfortable editing the source code for the firmware to allow the functionality. I already looked at it, but I’m not sure where to go with it (yes, I know PHP, HTML, Javascript).

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

This is not yet supported on the My Net N900.

Lets hope other users vote on the idea you posted and gets implemented eventually.

I understand your problem.  In the Advanced, LAN sections, Router Tables you can reserve an address for the specified PC.  Basically the router assigns a IP to the PC machine automatically.  Once the PC turns off, after a pre-determined amount of time, the router releases the pc machine IP address in the table.  By manually reserving/editing the PC mac address to a specified IP address, you can port forward to this port automatically and will work every time.  I WOL inside my LAN and outside my WAN.  When outside the lan, you must specify a certain port on your WAN address to be redirect to the PC in question.  Do not multicast, just WOl to the correct IP.

Meaning, if WAN is 123.123.123.123, then use a certain port to be redirected to the LAN PC port 9…

123.123.123.123:12345 → LAN 192.168.1.101 (Manually reserved IP) port 9

I do this for multiple PC’s.  A different WAN port is required for each PC.  WAN port 12345 to PC 1, 12346 to PC 2, 12347 to PC3, etc… And all PC’s should have static/manually reserved IP address in the LAN Tables.

If you want WOL to work, you need either manual IP set or the auto IP’s reserved.  Another benefit is using IP addys for remote desktop also.  By using IP addy, they are usually faster to connect instead of using PC names.

1 Like

Nissan-SR20-Man: That’s perfect! I didn’t know IP addresses could be reserved like that! I’ve always had a static IP address set up on my computer, so reserving that static IP address on the router should make everything work correctly.

Thank you!!!

(I’ll verify tomorrow that this works and I’ll accept as a solution if that’s the case.)

Unfortunately, this didn’t work for me. To clarify, is this correct?

-Set static IP address on desired computer

-Reserved that same static IP address in router settings (verified that IP address and MAC address are correct, and name is the same as my computer’s host name)

-Forwarded appropriate port to that IP address (port 9 for me)

I then used  this site to send the packet; that site has worked perfectly for me in the past. I verified that I’m using the correct IP address.

Any thoughts?

Think outside the lan.  You need your router/modem wan IP address.  This is the incoming IP, the outgoing IP is the lan PC.  The incoming port is your special port number, dedicated to only one lan PC.  WOL program has to support wan functionality.  Then enter the address and port for each IP to wake.  You need a fixed wan IP or a dynamic DNS service, can have for a free service.

ps…  the target pc can remain auto ip configuration.   Simply reserve the ip in the router once assigned.  Once assigned and reserved, it is permanent link providing you do not firmware upgrade and reset.

Can you confirm the reserved ip is working?  You see the device show up in the manually added list?  Advanced settings, lan, device and client tables

Yes, my computer does show up correctly in the device table. I did verify that the forwarded port is correct (port 9 is what I’ve forwarded), and the IP address I enter into that site is correct as I can go to the address and get to my router settings.

So it should be your wan address as used accessing the router.  Enter it again… 123.123.123.123:9876  with the last numbers “9876”  being the special random port on the wan side.  I would not use port 9 wan.  I would use a random number just in case it is reserved or forwarded some where else.  Manual port forwarding for the special wan ip and port to lan ip and port 9 must be enabled.

Hey John012

What’s so difficult about adding a static ARP option to this router?   The arp command already supports it, and it will work via a terminal connection, but it should be in the router menu.

You have my vote on adding a static ARP option.  IMO there’s no reason why this feature is missing from router menu.