New Release - My Net Router Firmware Updates (12/20/12)

Hi,

Just a post to report that my N900 is now up and running trouble free for about 12 days. 

The trouble-free applies to wired connections as to wireless connections. 

EKTUS : I have had similar problems to the ones your report : router not delivering an IP address over DHCP to a wireless computer. But that was also BEFORE i bought my N900. The roblem was either the computer or the router my ISP provided… but the only that helped was to reboot the computer or at least to close a session and open another one. So the problem could be related to a router or to the computer… But I suspect the computer to be at fault as the ISP router could release DHCP addresses to other devices and because it is unbelievably reliable (I reboot it about 3 or 4 times a year… and half of the reboots are just to apply a FW upgrade !). 

So, now my only problem is that USB ports sharing feature that is not working as expected for me. This feature offers three problems : 

• problem 1 : the hard drive connected does not appear with it’s given name. It appears under the model # of the hard drive, which is not really convenient. It also mounts a 220Mb large partition that cannot be written. 

• problem 2 : I cannot share the content of a USB attached hard drive with my SMB enabled Blu-Ray player (an Oppo BDP-105). According to Oppo, this is probably related with the SMB version that is used by WD, which is either old or a custom one. 

• problem 3 : if I connect 2 external hard drives using a USB Hub, only one drive shows up. 

SUGGESTIONS TO WD : 

• concerning problem 1 : to allow the user from within the user interface, to assign a specific name to a hard drive. Synology allows to do that on it’s devices. I guess WD should be able to do that also. 

• concerning problem 2 : if possible, upgrade to  the “genuine” latest version of SMB. Problem : if I got it right the implementation of an old version is due to some licensing restrictions…

• concerning problem 3 : I suspect that this is a hardware limit, but as there are 2 USB ports, I guess I could live with that for a while. If the problem can be circumvented, I would find that quite useful. 

Regards.

NetPenguin