Net N900 Central Storage Router issues

Hello! Tinwarble,

Thanks for your responses. Getting these from a honored contributor like you in the community makes me very happy :smiley: you got my vote for that! 

Thanks for confirming the bug with Android devices and SMB shares access issues. That is most troubling bug for me. The same bug manifests itself even with WDTV LIVE HUB and WDTV LIve network share access from these devices that I have. The oddity is that  if you have more than 200+ nested sub directories. It displays them as ’ UNTITLED VOLUME’ and the directory structure displayed on WDTV live series is all messed up. I am sure WD has seen this… afterall it is their own product!

As far as heat is concerned. I agree with you. I am not too worried either as the FAN does start after the cooking begins! :smileyvery-happy: and it does exhaust enough heat out of the box. But this not a router that you can throw in your closet. Remember that you not only have router chips that generate heat but you also have a 2.5 inch HDD spinning! - You do need to have good ventilation around the box otherwise all the lights flash like christmas tree!

The 5GHZ limitations on distance is understandable but not what this product really delivers. It delivers very poor 5GHZ range (5 feet at max for the advertised 300+ Mbps speeds) than any of the competitor’s devices can give. I do have a very old NETGEAR Share Max 300 router that I have DD-WRT running and with couple of 2.4GHZ streams I can get better performance out of that old timer than this so called high tech router.

I would consider useful range of 5GHZ radio to be at 15 to 20 feet at 300+ Mbps connection so that I can stream off the router in a mid size living room wirelessly otherwise it just does make sense to call it ’ wireless route r’ when you can be using a 5 Feet CAT 5 instead for wired gigabit connection :confounded:

Having said, This is WD’s first attempt into the router market. I can understand that they are probably going to improve the product (Just like they did with WD TV line of products) with future firmware updates.

I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that WD releases a newer firmware update.

Thanks again Tinwarble 

Cheers! :stuck_out_tongue: