Net N900 Central Storage Router issues

Well since I see no new replies, I assume that WD is still looking into these matters. Having said. I continue to test the router and here are some more bugs that I have noticed.

1. Samba server contiunes to have strange issues with other devices except windows XP or Win7 PCs. I cannot understand what is the limitation or issue. But the truth is even WDTV live media player has issues in seeing the SMB share from WD900 Central Storage.

At least for the WD Live Player’s perspective - The problem seems to be something to do with the limit of files present in the shares. If you have less than 120 files or directories in the top level root directory these non windows machines have no issues in reading that directory from SMB share. But as soon as you have more files in the root directory or complex nested subdirectories with files more than 127+ or more the Android devices and also now newly discovered WD Live media player has issues in seeing those files and directories It says “UNTITLED VOLUME” on WD TV Live. It basically truncates anything above 127 files in the subdirectory. If I made multiple sub directories as long as they are lower than 127 it sees them fine! - bizzare!

The Android tablet has no visiblity as stated before. It does not matter how many files or subdirectories are present  it just only displays the subdirectory name over and over again without showing the actual contents of the sub directory.

Obviously the SMB server on WD900 Central Storage has issues with respect to other devices except Windows PCs which seems to see the SMB shares just fine! . Please look into that.

1. Restore Drive to factory default has a serious bug - The process of downloading the necessary files from WD servers via the restore HDD option in the GUI -the Firmware attempts to paritiion the drive but does not populate the WD software present in the Public folder from factory. - Severity 2 Bug

2. I was attempting to populate the Internal drive and I found that transferring files from wireless connection to the drive is very slow (max of 8 to 12Mbps max write speeds for large files but for small files the transfer rate is 2Mbps or slower) at that rate It would take more than 40 hours to populate the 1Tb HDD. While the SMB performance is not that bad for a storage router the wireless file transfer really **bleep**!  - using the Gigabit wired connection the rates are decent enough. Almost like USB attached drive.

3. The password getting lost due to unknown reason seems to affect not only the admin login password. but the SMB user (other than public) also is seen to get lost! - Serious issue as the router connects to internet and if someone is careless they can hack into your router easily as it now has default password. - This is Severity 1 bug.

4. Sometimes, while fiddling the Wireless settings properties page the GUI is designed to flip to wireless security to NONE and if you are not careful in noting the changes you made, while you may have WPA2/PSK personal mode selected stuck and your can be running that mode without any added security. - This is a Severity 3 bug.

I know it takes time to fix problems as these needs testing and lot of validation process. WD is usually very responsive and I have seen you guys fix many of the problems that I have reported across platforms of products. Please see that this information gets routed to the correct department for problem resolution.

I will be happy if someone acknowledges these issues and for me SMB oddities seems the most troubling one for me. I am still baffled why this is happening and I would love to see others share their experiences with SMB share issues reported above.

Thanks!

Vistawall