Is it worth it?

Hi WD Community,

I’m looking for a entry level NAS that i can use as a media server in my home. Came here to ask some questions because i’ve read some reviews about the My Cloud series, and i was concerned it won’t do everything i need.

First of all, the NAS will be connected to an ASUS AC68U, and i need it to wirelessly stream 1080p blue-ray movies (and music but this is not hardware demanding) without a hiccup on my Samsung 55F7000 tv.

Secondly, need a simple and user friendly torrent client for it (saw transmission install guides, but wondering if it is stable enough)

And lastly, i need it to be fast in media rescanning and stable (the ac68u has a media server option, but it isn’t stable enough, frequent drops and takes a long time to refresh media from the USB HDD)

Is WD My Cloud a good answer?

If not, could you provide me with a solution?

Thank you and BRGDS.

I would suggest that you buy one for 14 day trial run rather then getting the opinions of the troubled users that frequents this forum. The fact is that if you don’t have troubles with your device, you would not be seeking the support forums for advice.

This is true for all device forums, although there is also the hacker community that might give you some rave reviews, but because the Cloud is still relatively new these hacker folks are few.

Personally if you want something with a bit more computer in it, I would suggest that you look at some of the QNAP products that has a atom processor in them; making it a better choice in performing torrents and other media scanning services.

The cloud is more of a toy in this arena and even though people has been adding transmission and other linux tools, we are very limited to memory as well as disk space for major tools. 

I bought mine simply for the reason that it was cheap for a 4TB linux box at $190; normally $229 or $250. The ability to add another 4tb on the USB 3.0 port giving it almost the same network speed as the cloud was the main selling point. 

1 Like

Speaking of the devil; a troubled user appears to confirm my post :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s put it this way, if you are thinking of installing transmission for tormenting then you can fix any problems this device is purported to have.

Ralphael wrote:

I would suggest that you buy one for 14 day trial run rather then getting the opinions of the troubled users that frequents this forum. The fact is that if you don’t have troubles with your device, you would not be seeking the support forums for advice.

This is true for all device forums, although there is also the hacker community that might give you some rave reviews, but because the Cloud is still relatively new these hacker folks are few.

Personally if you want something with a bit more computer in it, I would suggest that you look at some of the QNAP products that has a atom processor in them; making it a better choice in performing torrents and other media scanning services.

The cloud is more of a toy in this arena and even though people has been adding transmission and other linux tools, we are very limited to memory as well as disk space for major tools. 

I bought mine simply for the reason that it was cheap for a 4TB linux box at $190; normally $229 or $250. The ability to add another 4tb on the USB 3.0 port giving it almost the same network speed as the cloud was the main selling point. 

QNAP TS-112p was my other choice… Thank you for the advice. Hope it will meet my needs.

As long as your router supports the speed you need for whatever the wireless device, it’ll work fine. I use my wired MyCloud to sling 1080p blu ray rips to my Chromecast (using BubbleUPNP) with zero issue. 

I am looking fo rthe answer to this as well. If you find the answer to these 2 questions please let me know. All the best.