Occasional Disconnects OS3 Not blaming WD

It is funny how a successful OS 3 install changes my perception of WD as a product; (the sound of a finger snap is heard) just like that.

So my I7 PC has been busy stedily copying files from Cloud to Cloud for the last 8 hours. However the copying process has stopped three times with a message that Drive Z: the Cloud with OS3 is not available, try again. Even though I can click on drive Z and view the various directories, the copy process refuses to continue with “Try Again”.

So I click on skip… and the copying process continues.

Now remember my other posts, the one " Symptoms of a Cloud going bad: Blame WD" where the DNS is pointing at shaw.

Well with my new Cloud with OS 3, I am using DHCP with the reserve IP coming from the router, thereby the default DNS is Shaw’s DNS. The other Cloud has the OpenDNS ips and has no problems at all but apparently Shaw’s DNS will go down occasionally and that is when my copying gets interrupted.

I noticed this problem when I first bought my Cloud in 2014, at that time I just thought it was a hiccup with Windows 7 so I just use teracopy.  The problem also occured when my PC was a server, I would copy files from my Mac to my pc and all of a sudden it would stop.

So now I know all about problematic DNS’es as they can cause tiny disconnects that interrupts copying making it look like a fault with the Cloud. 

Hey Raphael,

Do you think it could be the router renewing the ip?  I guess it would be consistently happening after a certain amount of time, but I’ve seen it happen before.

Bill_S wrote:

Hey Raphael,

Do you think it could be the router renewing the ip?  I guess it would be consistently happening after a certain amount of time, but I’ve seen it happen before.

yup anything is possible these days… I mean we can point a finger at anything and the blame makes sense :stuck_out_tongue: but I think I have the renewal time set to the max of a week.

I’ll re-try this mass copy thing with a real static ip and the DNS pointing to Open DNS to see if we get these random disconnects. If so, you can add it to your list of potential random disconnects solution.

Well, if that’s the case, then I will make sure this gets looked into. Have you checked the logs to see if there was any particular activity going on during the time the transfer stopped?

Bill_S wrote:

Well, if that’s the case, then I will make sure this gets looked into. Have you checked the logs to see if there was any particular activity going on during the time the transfer stopped?

hmmm, I am not a great log reader… I tend to look through files waiting for an anamaly to pop out at me and nothing popped…

The next batch will be through a static ip with a openDNS and if I get dropouts, I’ll yell loudly in the forums :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds good to me.

I’ve been in this industry far too long… and it is starting to give me a headache. I love and hate troubleshooting.

So I assigned a real fixed IP to my new Cloud and copied the rest of the files. After several hours of continuous copying I did not get any interruptions.

So I booted up “beyond compare” to ensure that everything was a match, I used the USB 3 My Book which is a mirror copy of My Old Cloud and compared it against the New OS3 Cloud that I just copied everything into.

and Beyond Compare _ gave an error that it couldn’t find the path to the Cloud drive… _

Yup, open explorer and looked around, the Cloud drive was mounted, all the files are ok… 

Restarted “Beyond Compare” and this time it was able to compare all the files between the USB 3 and the Cloud.

SOOOOOO it has to be OS3 intermittent disconnects? Right?

I came in here and changed the title to “Now Blaming WD” and added the first line to say “See addendum Post”

Then something in my head made a click sound… 

My PC was not on a fixed IP, it was using DHCP and therefore it was still on Shaw’s DNS, which meant that if ShawDNS had a hiccup every so often, the PC would be unable to connect to the cloud.

So I gave it a fixed IP… and again restarted the “Beyond Compare” to compare the USB 3 4TB WD My Book with the Cloud.

and came back here to type all this up…

Went back to check on it… and

_ Drive D: needs to be formatted <==== thats my USB 3 4TB My Book drive? _

Oh for crying out loud… Restarted “Beyond Compare” and then it couldn’t find the path to the Cloud again…

Restarted one last time and everything compared normally with no errors.

So as much I would like to say that OS3 might have potential disconnect problems, I really cannot say.  

I’m about to upgrade my old Cloud to OS3 tonight… and if that is successful, I’ll finally be up to date on the latest firmware and might be able to keep an eye on new problems.

And definitely will be testing this by doing a massive drag and drop copy once the Old Cloud has been updated.

Just one question, do you have to do any reconfiguring with your router to reserve that ip address for the My Cloud?

Bill_S wrote:

Just one question, do you have to do any reconfiguring with your router to reserve that ip address for the My Cloud?

nope… once I set the ip on the Cloud the router shows the static ips automatically. Four main devices, four static ips. The iphone and ipads are on dhcp.

To end the night I did copy 90+ GB from the new cloud over to my USB 3 My Book attached to my PC without any hiccups, so I suspect a possible problem with “Beyond Compare”.

Both Clouds are now on OS3 and both of them are sleeping at the moment from the grueling two days of data copying; trying to see how long they would sleep.

I’ll let you know if any disconnects occurs as I plan to do a massive copy again just to check it out…