Hard Disk My Cloud

Hello everyone,
I was thinking of buying a hard drive my cloud which I wanted to connect it to a modem wifi router on the network and access them from any device within the home and with this my cloud from the outside.
Do you think it is feasible? I have to take a particular router? what do you recommend?
thanks

I considered MyCloud vs Tonido ver 2. I previously had WD MyBookWorld and Tonido ver 1. I wanted the ability to gain access to my files away from the home network, and wanted to use the drive as a media player on the home network. These are the functions you describe and I have an ordinary router supplied by the ISP.

Tonido has lots of software, but nothing especially wonderful - I prefer my own viewing software. WD has a very good reputation for hardware. I liked the idea of being able to plug my own disks in and out of Tonido because this give you the feeling that if the system breaks, you still have your hard disk with your data on it. But I guessed that WD hard disk reliability would be higher than normal USB drives. In the end I chose MyCloud.
Initial experiences. MyCloud software is buggy, firmware update can lead you to lose all the data on your disk. This was not a good experience. Previous MyBookWorld hardware is robust - still working, but I wanted new features. Previous Tonido v1 hardware was unreliable, especially after firmware updates. In the end, while preparing a full backup of all my files on an external USB drive, I seem to have burned Tonido v1 out. I would guess Tonido v2 is much more robust.
Both devices are slow. I am getting 4-6 MB/sec. People on the forum claim 40-60 MB/sec;  don’t know how they achieve this. This means that 500 GB data will take over 24 hours to copy. You don’t want to be doing that when you have deadlines.
For backup I would recommend a commercial backup software, e.g. GoodSync. It is much more flexible and shows you what is going on. With WD built-in Safepoint software you are guessing and when you get errors there seems to be no way of finding what they were. It would be nice to free up one’s computer for running boring things like backups and downloading torrents etc. but these functions are not yet robust enough on MyCloud IMHO.
Conclusion: MyCloud is great hardware. And if you don’t expect too much from the software, you won’t be disappointed.

Richard.

Thanks Richard, You were very explicit.
Since you will not want to do anything very complicated will buy this type of hard drive.

Thank you,
Greetings and see you soon.
Elia